Stump Puller Cam Question

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

need4speed
Getting There
Getting There

Stump Puller Cam Question

Post by need4speed »

Please help. The real steel stump-puller cam i have has a max valve lift of 0.465" for inlet and exhaust valves.
Im fitting to late type injection heads with the later type valve stem seals. Will i get away with fitting this cam without machining the tops of the valve guides? The heads are already fitted and torqued down so if i could possibly get away with it, it would save loads of time and money.

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Stump Puller Cam Question

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

need4speed wrote:Please help. The real steel stump-puller cam i have has a max valve lift of 0.465" for inlet and exhaust valves.
Im fitting to late type injection heads with the later type valve stem seals. Will i get away with fitting this cam without machining the tops of the valve guides? The heads are already fitted and torqued down so if i could possibly get away with it, it would save loads of time and money.
I doubt it, the normal recommendation is to machine 100 thou./2mm. off the top of the guides and obviously fit whatever valve springs they now recommend as the the originals will not have enough clearance for the additional 75 thou of lift.

Kevin.

need4speed
Getting There
Getting There

Post by need4speed »

I have a full set of shortened/bulleted valve guides from v8 tuner. If I get someone to press them in for me, will I need to have the valve seats recut? If so, will it just be more cost effective to just strip the heads and have the original guides shortened by 2mm?

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

need4speed wrote:I have a full set of shortened/bulleted valve guides from v8 tuner. If I get someone to press them in for me, will I need to have the valve seats recut? If so, will it just be more cost effective to just strip the heads and have the original guides shortened by 2mm?
Yes & yes so long as the original guides aren't worn.

Regards Ged

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Are the heads ported and using the minus one coil valves springs as well ?

Andrew
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

Return to “Engines Area”