No oil pressure

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

paul c
Getting There
Getting There

No oil pressure

Post by paul c »

I started my spare 110 the other day after it had been sitting for a couple of weeks, but the oil light wouldnt go out and the gauge read nothing with a few rattly lifters, so I guess the 3.5 has lost its prime from the oil pump. Is there anything else to try without opening up the pump and packing it with vaseline?

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

You can make or buy a priming tool, you then take the distributor off having taken note of how it is fitted, then use the priming tool with a drill to spin the oil pump. Doing things this way you can be sure that you have oil pressure before cranking the engine over which risks damaging it.

Maybe the oil pressure relief valve has stuck open....not a big job to check.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Definitely make a priming tool. You can spin the pump much faster with a drill than you can cranking the engine.
Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

if you have a oil cooler or remote filter you can pull off a pipe and back feed the pump via the pipe,
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Add an extra 3 litres of oil

Tha way the pump should be lower than the sump level and be full

Crank it over to ensure you are getting presure then drain the sump back to the correct level

Messy but easier than dizzy off in my world!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

Ian Anderson wrote:Add an extra 3 litres of oil

Tha way the pump should be lower than the sump level and be full

Crank it over to ensure you are getting presure then drain the sump back to the correct level

Messy but easier than dizzy off in my world!

Ian
Thats novel. :D
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

paul c
Getting There
Getting There

Post by paul c »

Cheers Guys, I had been thinking of a priming tool as I have them for Ford v8s but I wasnt sure if that would be enough to get oil up to the pump, having heard what Rovers are like. I have done the overfill trick on other engines so had been considering that also. How does one check the relief spring, just in case, it has no cooler on this engine just an old basic 3.5. I had been thinking of swapping a 3.9 into it using this front cover but not sure I want to if the pump loses its prime.

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

I have primed the pump in the past by pumping oil in via the pressure switch tapping.

Andrew
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

paul c wrote:Cheers Guys, I had been thinking of a priming tool as I have them for Ford v8s but I wasnt sure if that would be enough to get oil up to the pump, having heard what Rovers are like. I have done the overfill trick on other engines so had been considering that also. How does one check the relief spring, just in case, it has no cooler on this engine just an old basic 3.5. I had been thinking of swapping a 3.9 into it using this front cover but not sure I want to if the pump loses its prime.
The relief spring and its valve just sit behind a large bolt on the side of the oil pump, not much oil comes out when you take the bolt off. the spring should then come out followed be a 'slug of metal' which is the actual valve. This slug must be free to move up and down its bore.

If it was my lump I'd just have a go with the priming tool first. I would avoid at all costs cranking the engine until you get pressure using the priming tool.

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

I'll second the priming of the pump through the oil pressure switch. You are basically back filling it.
I used a small bore hose to fit over threads of oil pressure gauge connection and then attached a small funnel.

Pete
Image Image

Karel R.R. & Capri

Post by Karel R.R. & Capri »

:?: :?: priming a oil pump with a drill , cant it damage the pomp :?: :?:
I have never done this before

and a picture say's more than a thousants words :roll:
My daily driver is a Range Rover Classic from 1989,
My project : a Ford Capri 1982 2Liter converting into a rover 3.5 v8 with carbs

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Karel R.R. & Capri wrote::?: :?: priming a oil pump with a drill , cant it damage the pomp :?: :?:
I have never done this before

and a picture say's more than a thousants words :roll:
Why would it damage the pump? You are just spinning it round the same way that the dizzy drive spins it round. Testing for oil pressure this way has the advantage that you are not turning the rest of the engine over which is the worst thing you can do if you have something dodgy going on.

davemgb
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by davemgb »

Karel R.R. & Capri wrote::?: :?: priming a oil pump with a drill , cant it damage the pomp :?: :?:
Bigger danger of damaging yourself or the drill when the pump primes and the resistance increases !?!

Dave

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

davemgb wrote:
Bigger danger of damaging yourself or the drill when the pump primes and the resistance increases !?!

Dave
That's true, that's why a drill with a nice variable speed trigger is good along with engaging your brain whilst carrying out the task! :D

davemgb
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by davemgb »

sidecar wrote:That's true, that's why a drill with a nice variable speed trigger is good along with engaging your brain whilst carrying out the task! :D
True, I've only made the mistake once so must have learnt something !

Dave

Return to “Engines Area”