moving alternator?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

nimmo
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

moving alternator?

Post by nimmo »

i'm intending to move the alternator from the left side of the engine block to the right side, (thats looking at engine from the front) i just wondered if there is an off the shelf bracket or do i have to spend time fabricating one from scratch?

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

the LH head sits further forward than the RHhead, which can lead to problems with the back of the alternator fouling the head,
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

spend
Getting There
Getting There

Post by spend »

TVR used them the bracket also has a spacer that sits twixt bracket & head. Must have been a sourced rover / LR part originally but I don't know which model sorry.
Dave

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

I moved mine to the RHS low down as I needed room up top for a chassis tube -simple enough bracket.

Advantage I had was that the alternator was the only the accessory I had to concern myself with.

Andrew
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: moving alternator?

Post by DaveEFI »

nimmo wrote:i'm intending to move the alternator from the left side of the engine block to the right side, (thats looking at engine from the front) i just wondered if there is an off the shelf bracket or do i have to spend time fabricating one from scratch?
The one on my SD1 is on the (UK) drivers side. Thought most were?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

They have been factory fitted to both sides. I only am familiar with Range Rovers, but on those:
Early Rangies had them on the drivers side
Later (EFi) Rangies had them on the passenger side, driven indirectly through the PAS pump pulley.
GEMS / Thor (i.e. Range Rover P38) engines had them back on the drivers side, but much closer to the centreline of the engine.
SD1's definitely had them on the drivers side, I'm not sure if they ever went to the passenger side.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Right. It would seem earlier engines up to the SD1 generally had them on the drivers side? Although the SD1 EFI also had it on the driver's side. The mounting for that comes up quite often on Ebay. It is a casting which bolts to the front of the head and block - do all engines have the threads for that?
It is mounted low down so no problem with fouling the cylinder head.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

SD1's have the alternator hung underneath the bracket, P5B & P6B have the alternator above the bracket and there are two types, one for the 11AC alternator, and a longer one for the 18ACR, all mounted on the front of the RH head.

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

What engine do you have i.e. what crank pulley arrangement do you have as there are variations for each.

Also what vehicle is it going in? Is there and height clearance issues?

I have the classic range rover bracket (under slung type) in a box somwhere in the garage. Mounts on the Left of the engine looking if you stand infront of the car.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

The 4.4 Leyland P76 had the alternator on the passenger side, the brackets sometimes come up on Aussie ebay.

On my SD1 I made up my own brackets and mounted the alternator up higher in line with the short nose Buick water pump.

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

My Fury has it's alt low and to the right on a couple of home-made brackets. Pictures here https://picasaweb.google.com/1075468500 ... rnatorPics#

Return to “Engines Area”