Engine tightens up under final torque of mains... :-(

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

turbodave

Post by turbodave »

Crank is the same 120K mile unit from the original engine - exactly the same as it came out, except for a good cleaning and a light polish to take the new shells.

I did actually check the block was square with a surface plate and feelers, and it checked out ok. I didn't think to pop a cam in there though, so will do this tonight.

The shop actually called a bit ago - crank was "perfectly straight", and block journals are what they termed as "acceptable" for the ovality which means not perfect, but pretty damn close to being on the limit of what they can repeatedly measure - and no doubt just fine for a road engine. If we knew what the journal dia was 'meant' to be - it'd be easier to work out if this is correct or not.

The one thing they can't measure, is the alignment of the journals to each other - obviously this needs a cmm machine - which they don't have.

They also tried assembling it themselves, and found that doing it the way I had the best results didn't work for them - but the Rover procedure did... It was still tight though,,, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, it is getting the crank tickled again. I'm confident there is light at the end of this tunnel, and that there is just a combination of things at differnt ends of the tolerance limits, which are all compounding to give an unaceptable result... Hopefully we'll be there today.

Thanks for all the input guys. If this was a bar I'd get the next round in, but as it isn't, you can have a virtual pint on me :lol:

Return to “Engines Area”