Oil Cooler kit.?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Risky

Oil Cooler kit.?

Post by Risky »

I'd like to fit an oil cooler kit to help keep temps under control. I've got my eye on this one, any advice regarding what one to get?
They have various sizes available, is bigger better?

Going on standard 3.5, no real mods, basic motor into Toyota Hilux.

Link.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

What could possibly go wrong?

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Looks OK but I'd probably go with a thermostat ccontrol and bigger cooler

see also think Automotive
http://www.thinkauto.com/

IAn
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Risky

Post by Risky »

Ian Anderson wrote:Looks OK but I'd probably go with a thermostat ccontrol and bigger cooler

see also think Automotive
http://www.thinkauto.com/

IAn
Thanks Ian...larger cooler for sure and controller..Thanks for that, and I like the look of the link you gave me, cheers. :D

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
If it is a standard 3.5 and you don't have a full width/length undertray you an oil cooler is not needed, infact I would think even with a thermostat the oil cooler is unlikley to be in circute for more than about 30 seconds even after very hard acceleration in low ratio, and probably never under normal use. All you will do is reduce the oil flow available to the engine under normal use. If you are that worried make sure you put in an air deflector to direct a little extra cooling air at the sump and don't run the exhaust collectors too close to the sump (maybe even put a heat shield between exhausts and sump).
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Again
I've just looked at your build photos, the exhausts are miles away from the sump, the sump is dangling in the breaze under the car right in the air flow, and you have lagged the pipes anyway, plus the engine bay is huge , you may have an issue with the oil not getting properly hot, not needing to cool it down! :?
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Risky

Post by Risky »

kiwicar wrote:Hi Again
I've just looked at your build photos, the exhausts are miles away from the sump, the sump is dangling in the breaze under the car right in the air flow, and you have lagged the pipes anyway, plus the engine bay is huge , you may have an issue with the oil not getting properly hot, not needing to cool it down! :?
Best regards
Mike
Thankyou VERY much for your advice Mike.
I've read about issues with overheating and I thought it possibly a good idea to go with this...but after reading this I think that you may be correct about the breeze passing through easily.
Cheers guys...that's saved me a few quid I can put towards another few bits :D

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

overheating is very rarely a problem with oil temps on the RV8 and is more likely to be a problem with water cooling. The big tuned engines can make use of an oil cooler but stockish motors rarely do as per what Mike said.

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

I have a 13 row engine oil cooler fitted to my 4.6, and find it excellent. Mind you, I live in Australia where the temperatures are in most of the country for most of the time hotter than those experienced in Europe and the U.K.

It is 23 degrees C here today and I have just been out for a run over 60km, and being in the country 100kph (60mph) running. Coolant temperature was essentially 85 degrees C while engine oil temperature as measured in the sump was in the 90 to 95 degree C range for the most part. It usually does not take too long for the oil temp to reach 80 degrees C so it is not cool for too many miles.

From what I have read, the optimum engine oil temperature is in the range of 82 to 93 degrees C.

On really hot days when the ambient temperature is around 40 degrees C, engine oil temperature is typically 100 degrees C.

Without the cooler and in similar conditions, engine oil temp was typically approaching 125 degrees C (with my original 3.5 litre engine), so a big benefit from using the cooler as far as I am concerned.

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

Risky

Post by Risky »

RoverP6B wrote:I have a 13 row engine oil cooler fitted to my 4.6, and find it excellent. Mind you, I live in Australia where the temperatures are in most of the country for most of the time hotter than those experienced in Europe and the U.K.

It is 23 degrees C here today and I have just been out for a run over 60km, and being in the country 100kph (60mph) running. Coolant temperature was essentially 85 degrees C while engine oil temperature as measured in the sump was in the 90 to 95 degree C range for the most part. It usually does not take too long for the oil temp to reach 80 degrees C so it is not cool for too many miles.

From what I have read, the optimum engine oil temperature is in the range of 82 to 93 degrees C.

On really hot days when the ambient temperature is around 40 degrees C, engine oil temperature is typically 100 degrees C.

Without the cooler and in similar conditions, engine oil temp was typically approaching 125 degrees C (with my original 3.5 litre engine), so a big benefit from using the cooler as far as I am concerned.

Ron.
Australia....hmmmm? any room for another Pom with a Toyota RV8? :D

Here in the crapppy UK where a dark cloud hangs above most peoples heads thesedays, temperatures are not gonna hit Australias levels even with the global warming (scam)!
I'm leaning towards not getting one after previous comments, I think it's a case of see how it goes and get one later if needed.
There's plenty on the market and with any luck a decent one will turn up at the right price at custom show or something like that.
Enjoy the sun 8)

john 215
Getting There
Getting There

Post by john 215 »

Hi,

I run a 13 row cooler on my 4.6, thermostat take off between filter and housing using 5/8" hose, rather than the 1/2 inch you see in some kits, to ensure enough flow, made a difference on mime with hot oil pressure.

The hoses i made mysef using Aeroquip push fitting.

Cheers John
LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME.

Return to “Engines Area”