V8 ECU 4.0 to 4.6

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Mogwyth

V8 ECU 4.0 to 4.6

Post by Mogwyth »

Getting conflicting advice on the this.

Some say the 4.6 map is in the ECU and just needs switching, others are saying it needs programming (presumably by a dealer). Any comments?

Also I have been told it will run untouched just a bit lean, won't this be detrimental tot eh engine?

Bill

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dnb »

Which ECU? 14CUX, GEMS or Bosch?

Mogwyth

Post by Mogwyth »

Bosch I believe, it's an 02 Discovery.

turbodave

Post by turbodave »

Mogwyth

Post by Mogwyth »

Thanks for that Dave but I can read my own threads I was after more opinions, as I have the following from various sources:

1. It just needs the fuel map changing to the 4.6 which is in-built.
2. It needs reprogramming by a dealer or the likes.
3. It will automatically adjust to the engine demands.
4. Bin it and get another one.

Bill

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Pretty sure if its Bosch it will need re-programmed. The older ECU's you could switch between maps with resistors but the newest ECU's require the updated software.

I have just checked something and I am now positive you need to re-programme the ECU. Your options are go to Land Rover and get them to put their map on or go to someone like Superchips and get an upgraded map. No idea if Landrover will do it for you, Ford wouldn't do my car but that's Ford.

turbodave

Post by turbodave »

If I were you, I'd join www.discoweb.org

Here are some snippets from posts on there:

"To be clear, Gems 4.0 and 4.6 use the same MAF so you shouldn't get any performance gains. On D2's the bosch 4.0 and 4.6 MAF's are an entirely different size. I don't know about performance differences but you probably wouldn't get a boost (going 4.0 to 4.6) with out an ecu remap"

"I did a gems to gems 4.6 swap. I had to hook it up to Autologic and tell the truck a 4.6 was under the hood. Made a clear difference."

"I did the 4.0 to 4.6 swap exactly 1 year ago. NO ECU change, NO reprogramming needed. Upon start up the engine idled up to about 6000 RPM and then backed down automatically in 5000 RPM increments untill she idled around 900 RPM"

There is a crap-load of good, discovery-specific info on theat board, but there are also a lot of attitudes... Ignore those particular ones (like I do), and post away...

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Presumably there's two part no's, therefore they are different.

Working on the basis that the ECU will retune itself to a certain extent, I would think it would be OK on a 4.6. Certainly I saw a 5.2 litre running a 4.6 ECU supposedly OK.

But if you want OEM standard running, you need the other ECU.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dnb »

If it's the Bosch Motronic then it is pretty good at tuning itself and it may just work, so I would give it a go to see if it can adapt to the new engine. (You can always use an aftermarket solution if it doesn't work)

No-one I have found does custom maps the Bosch Motronic system for the Land/Range rover - I have looked on and off because I am thinking of a 5 litre engine in my Vogue.

What's the part number on your ECU? I can compare it to mine and see if they are the same part - this should give you a clue as to whether the 4 and 4.6 use the same ECU.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

they arent mappable in the aftermarket ECU type of thing outside Landrover but you can change parts of them. Superchips does do one for the 98-99 and 99-02 4.6. Thinking about it though you might be right in that it wont be a complete map just some of the parameters changed. Guess that only leaves Landrover for a proper upgrade.

POAH
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by POAH »

you'd be able to fit a unichip I'd imagine

Mogwyth

Post by Mogwyth »

Thanks everyone, it would help if as they say I RTM, in RAVE it says:

But there is no clue as to whether all ECUs have the 4.6 map or only those after a certain date. According to Microcat mine is NNN1000480 ECU, there are five ECU's listed for the D2 V8 4.0.

I have come across someone else who has put a 4.6 with stage 1 heads in the same model year as mine and has not touched the ECU and it seems to be running fine.

cheers

Bill

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Interesting - how does the ECM know which 'tune' to use?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

The latter engines had knock and lamda sensors, so I'm sure they will auto adjust using this info.
Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

Mogwyth

Post by Mogwyth »

Well I have the old girl back and 500 miles into the 1000 mile running in period and she seems to be running fine with the ECU untouched. Mpg varies between 16 running around and 22 on the motorway, which is about 10% better than I ever managed on the 4.0, even trying to be economical with the loud pedal. Only minor niggle is an apparent flat spot mid 30's mph although that could be down to using gentle right foot.

Cheers

Bill

Return to “Engines Area”