General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Stu E
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Sumps

Post by Stu E »

Hi
I'm about to swap the 1977 3.5 SD1 engine in my car for a 1993 3.9 Range Rover engine. I will change the front cover to use the lower SD1 water pump, I wondered if the sumps are different as well, if it's taller then I'll have to swap that as ground clearance is a bit of a problem. Guess that would mean the oil pick up pipe and dipstick will need changing as well.
Thanks Stu

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Sumps are different, so you will need to fit the SDi sump and pick up pipe, probably dipstick and tube too, but there are no clearance probs
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

The RR sump may be fractionally shallower but the bulk is longer, so if you have to clear a cross member or steering components then it may not fit.
TC

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Stu,
One thing to watch if you fit a 3.9 RR sump and you have ground clearence issues is that the drain plug is at the lower nearside corner and if the sump hits the ground, the plug may come undone as it will be jolted anticlockwise.
I'm not sure if the RR sump is any deeper than an SD1 sump but it is made of slightly thicker metal. The RR sump does not have the tie plate between the sump and bellhousing. I've never established the reason for this tie plate, anybody know for sure?
Regards Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

davehoos

Post by davehoos »

called BEAMING brace.
when you start off the clutch Judder flexes the clutch housing.causing more judder.

leyland P76 uses a B/W 35 it has 2 metal tube brace from the box to bell housing and a plate from oil pan to housing on the bottom.

Return to “Engines Area”