Oil cooler outlet/inlet (Rover V8)

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

AdamR

Oil cooler outlet/inlet (Rover V8)

Post by AdamR »

Hi all,

Does anyone know the size/thread of the oil cooler outlet/inlet holes located near the oil filter mount? My car will not be running an oil cooler - can I just plug these holes, or do I need to run a hose from one to the other?

My engine is a 3.9 with intermediate front cover, if that makes a difference.

Cheers,
A

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

Hello Adam,

The oil cooler distribution plate mounts onto the oil pump front cover.
If you remove the centre spigot that currently is used to retain the oil filter, the oil cooler plate will come away.

You can now fit your oil filter directly onto the oil pump front cover, as in any RV8 that is not fitted with an oil cooler.

The diameter and thread on the spigot that accepts the oil filter remains the same.

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

spend
Getting There
Getting There

Post by spend »

M18 IIRC on the interim & later covers, PM me if no-one validates & I'll double check tomorrow.
Dave

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I think it's M20x1.5 on the GEMs covers.

If anybody knows where I can get Banjo fittings that will fit onto 5/8 bore flexible hose, I'd be very pleased to hear!!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

Sorry Adam,

Intermediate cover,..crank driven oil pump.

My post was regarding the camshaft driven pump.

Apologies if I caused confusion. :oops:

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Any definite answer on this? I have the same question- if any doubt I will just get a short link hose made up... Does anyone know the thread sizes in the cover as I cant take it in to my hose place attached to the engine!!!

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

I have seen late style covers with plugs in them so should not be a problem blanking them off.

What I did as a Temp measure while getting new oil cooler hoes made, was to cut two old oil cooler hoses up , and cut the ends off and then weld the ends up to make plugs. this way I could use the O-rings from the original ends, so they sealed correctly. If you just juse bolts you may have a sealing problem.

Oh and I want to keep my plugs as will be building another engine, so want to be able to plug the holes until I do the swap.
Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

pitmole

Post by pitmole »

The fittings on crank driven pumps are either m18 0r m20 depending on the type interim or gems, and if you are just wanting to blank off the cooler then just plugging the holes will be fine.
If you want to add a cooler then things are a little more involved as the oil port nearest the crank can just have a hose fitted while the one nearest the pressure switch needs to plug the inner port that runs down to the crank but allow oil out the hose, the factory cooler hoses have a special end on this plug, a sort of closed end tube, drilled thru one side with a small inner o ring on the end that blanks of the inner hole. Just fitting regular plugs on hoses to a cooler will not direct all the oil round the cooler.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

It is an interim cover with dissy hole, so it is fine to just put a std plug in each hole if I can fine a pair? I thought there must be a thermostat or block in the bypass to stop oil going through that way instead of the cooler- is that not right?

pitmole

Post by pitmole »

The act of fitting the factory cooler hoses closes off the internal oilway and flows the oil round the cooler.
If you just want to blank off the cooler lines then a simple plug in each hole will be fine.
If you want to fit a cooler then you will need to replicate the factory style fitting in the port nearest the oil light switch, the lower port just needs a normal m18/20 fitting.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Oh I think I get you, so with blanks in the oil flows through the bypass, with the proper hose fittings inserted (from the oil cooler pipes) the fitting end closes off the bypass and re-routes oil through the pipe instead?

pitmole

Post by pitmole »

Thats it! I have got the factory cooler pipes so I guess it would be possible to knock up something that would do the same job if anybody needs the dimensions and a photo or 2.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

If your offering and they are from an interim cover could you measure the thread sizes and pitches?! Thanks for clarifying!

spend
Getting There
Getting There

Post by spend »

..by the time you add a stat is it worth the effort over a sandwich plate (with integral stat)?
Dave

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Bit old but does anyone know where to get the bungs I need to block off the oil cooler outlets in my interim cover?
TC

Return to “Engines Area”