General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Andy515666
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

It wont start!

Post by Andy515666 »

Hi everyone

A while ago I had to take out my 3.9 RV8 from my SD1 to fix some clutch issues. I got round to finally starting it yesterday and nothing happens.

When I turn the key over it clicks once then clicks again when the key is released from the ignition position.

I have checked all the cable connections etc and cannot work it out.

The click comes from a relay by the battery. I have recharged the battery to make sure this was not the issue and have been left scratching my head. It is a manual so no issue with the inhibitor switch or anything like that.

:?

Chur Bro

jrv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by jrv8 »

Hi ,
That's the starter motor relay you hear clicking.
A few things to check would be that the engine earth is reconnected, the connections are tight on the starter motor and that you have put the solenoid wire (white/brown ) on the correct terminal on the starter motor.
If these all look good, then check for power leaving the starter relay on the white/brown wire.

Jim

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

had exactly the same problem try the other spade terminal on the starter

scoobyv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by scoobyv8 »

it deff. sounds like a starter power problem, check your conections at the batt, starter, and earths, and as said above make sure your solenoid feed's at the right terminal on the starter.

its possible the motors seized up if its been left a while. a wee tap with a small hammer or poping it out for a quick bench test would tell.

George
The refinement of modern day comfort, and the prestige of a rover V8! In the making.

Andy515666
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

problem solved but ...

Post by Andy515666 »

Hi guys .. thanks heaps for the replies. I checked the connections and it was in fact the lead from the solanoid to the started. was not connected haha

So after connecting this, I turned it over and

it went click with the starter motor making a loud click too but did not turn the motor, it seems that the motor has somehow seized. I put the car into gear and rocked the car back and forth to try and free the motor as well as trying to turned he motor over by hand from the front pully .....(spark plugs also out) but again no luck. She is solid!

Prior to removing the motor is was running fine however has been sitting for the best part of 6 months.

Any idea how to free this motor up???
Chur Bro

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Did you take the clutch apart?
If so when you were reassembling some bits could be in wrong and snagging on bell housing

Or bolts in the wrong places / wrong lengyj amd through and hitting clutch / flywheel

Was car in neutral? If not the clutch could have rusted together and even with foot on clutch not disengage.

Probably easier to check than pulling engine apart.

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

scoobyv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by scoobyv8 »

remove the motor and spray penitrant oil in through the bendix, then clamp the flange in your vice and use a spare battery, and jump leads to power it up.(earth on the other side of the flange, and live on the solenoid) if its not turning yet, give it a tap around the motor with a wee hammer (remember you need a live at the ign. switch solenoid feed too, for it to power up) if this dosent work, you'l need to strip it.

i'm new to v8's but generally all starters are the same - VERRY fiddley
take your time and look out for wee springs holding bits like the brushes in. once its striped the main shaft will need cleaned where it runs in its bearings. use fine emery or wire wool to clean it up. re assemble with verry little grease only on the bearing surfaces. and another wee spray of wd40 on the brush contacts

its not rocket science, but can be fiddley, a local auto sparky to me does full recons with new brushes ect, for about £40. it may be worth considering this if your not upto the job

keep us updated
George
The refinement of modern day comfort, and the prestige of a rover V8! In the making.

Andy515666
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Andy515666 »

scoobyv8 wrote:remove the motor and spray penitrant oil in through the bendix, then clamp the flange in your vice and use a spare battery, and jump leads to power it up.(earth on the other side of the flange, and live on the solenoid) if its not turning yet, give it a tap around the motor with a wee hammer (remember you need a live at the ign. switch solenoid feed too, for it to power up) if this dosent work, you'l need to strip it.

i'm new to v8's but generally all starters are the same - VERRY fiddley
take your time and look out for wee springs holding bits like the brushes in. once its striped the main shaft will need cleaned where it runs in its bearings. use fine emery or wire wool to clean it up. re assemble with verry little grease only on the bearing surfaces. and another wee spray of wd40 on the brush contacts

its not rocket science, but can be fiddley, a local auto sparky to me does full recons with new brushes ect, for about £40. it may be worth considering this if your not upto the job

keep us updated
George
Hi George. Are you talking about removing the starter motor? That seems to be working fine :-) its the motor itself which has issues. Stuck solid. Not a happy chapper but thank you for your reply as im sure at some stage i am sure my starter motor will pack up
Chur Bro

Andy515666
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Andy515666 »

Ian Anderson wrote:Did you take the clutch apart?
If so when you were reassembling some bits could be in wrong and snagging on bell housing

Or bolts in the wrong places / wrong lengyj amd through and hitting clutch / flywheel

Was car in neutral? If not the clutch could have rusted together and even with foot on clutch not disengage.

Probably easier to check than pulling engine apart.

Ian
Hi Ian
The clutch was taken apart as I had to replace the spigot bearing. It was all reassembled the same way we took it apart and with accordance to the rover manual :-)

We have tested the clutch by putting in first and trying to push the car.. didn’t move. We then pushed the clutch pedal and it disengages the clutch and the vehicle moves freely.

When the car was in neutral I attached a wrench to the front pulley nut and tried turning by hand with the spark plugs out... wont budge.

I really don’t think I need to take the motor out.. well I am hoping not!

My next door neighbor is a mechanic (which helps) and he said it is not that uncommon for older motors to stick if it’s been sitting around for months without being turned over. One way is to tow the car and crash start it but I would rather not take that aggressive approach just yet.
Chur Bro

scoobyv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by scoobyv8 »

Andy515666 wrote:its the motor itself which has issues
sorry when you say motor i assumed you mean the starter, y folk cant use the word "engine" when it comes to it.

not to wory!
wifes needing on the comp now, i'l try and give another few pointers to free up the engine later
George

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Did you change bolts that hold clutch to flywheel?
If they are too long they hit the back of the block and will lock it solid.

Reason I am on this tack is that a similar problem was discussed on the GT40 forum recently.

The motor in the GT40 was not started for 16 years! It still turned over so I cannot see why yours should have gone solid in 6 months unless it was left out in the rain or something!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

landybob_v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by landybob_v8 »

i put a flywheel on the wrong way once and it fowled on the block locking the engine up
v8's everywhere at least the one in the spare bedrooms gone now

mrs happy again

Andy515666
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Andy515666 »

scoobyv8 wrote:
Andy515666 wrote:its the motor itself which has issues
sorry when you say motor i assumed you mean the starter, y folk cant use the word "engine" when it comes to it.

not to wory!
wifes needing on the comp now, i'l try and give another few pointers to free up the engine later
George
Not to worry George. I did mean engine. Will keep to two clearly apart from now :D
Chur Bro

Andy515666
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Andy515666 »

Hi Ian

The same bolts were used for the clutch - flywheel as I had taken off. I didnt have any troubles prior to the motor coming out.

I have had a chat with the V8 kid who has suggested dumping some WD40 down each cylinder (via the spark plug hole) and leaving it for an hour then cranking it over on the front pully nut.

Will give this a go tonight.

Cheers
Chur Bro

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

just a thing to try, Losen all the bellhousing bolts by a turn or so, see if that makes a difference to the engine turning over, or check and see if the bellhousing is pulled up square.
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Return to “Engines Area”