Cam choice

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Cam choice

Post by ppyvabw »

Does anyone have any experince of the crower 50233 or 50234 cams?

Would you say they were acceptable for everday road use or are they really for road driven competition cars?

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Engine size would be a big help here as larger engines can use much more cam than small ones. Head spec would be good to, I think the 34 needs big valve heads but the smaller will still need ported at least. Tony uses one of them by the way.

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

I'll use bigger than standard valves and im gonna port my cyinder heads and what have ya. Goin to use some tvr pistons with 9.75 CR that I have seen on ebay with valve pockets, and skim some off the block and heads to get the compression up a bit more.

erm...I'll use rhoads lifters too. I am also going to try and inject it if I can modify the plenum and manifold to fit under the bonnet easily enough.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

i use the 50233 in my 3.9.
the pistons will need pocketing,
and check your valve springs for binding,
i had to change my springs in my head to one less coil ones,
if i was using the car every day, i doubt i would use this cam,
it is not that well behaved around town and in traffic,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

what about the next one down, 50232 maybe?

Or a kent H224?

pitsnow
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by pitsnow »

I am with Marki, if you want to make use of a wilder cam, you have to have an engine that can breath sufficently to make more power.
Otherwise you just give away power in the low-mid range without the benefit of more power in the higer rev range.
The added compression will help recovering some of your overlap losses.
But without a good porting job and coresponding intake system there is not much point going for a long duration cam with big lifts.

What do you want to achieve with the cam?
If it is a reving engine you want there is no way around a set of well ported heads.
Get your head(s) sorted and the rest will follow :wink:

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

forgot to say they recomend BV heads for the 50233 also,
and a comp ratio of 9.75:1 my comp is around 9.35:1 or a fraction higher and i have no probs, except for like i said around town,
cruising is interesting too, as if you have a nice 5th and the revs are low she kangaroo's a bit sometimes around the 50mph mark, but we are slowly eliminating this with the map on the ecu,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

When I'm not at university Im in the Lincolnshire wolds so traffic is not such a huge problem. Lots of nice windy roads with nice straights inbewteen to give it some big licks. By the time I expect to finish the engine anyway, I will probably have to conceed defeat and buy a vauxhall corsa or something for everyday, and keep my v8 as a toy so im going to go a bit more radical with this one. In my 3.5 I have ported heads and a piper 285 and that runs fine which is why I think i could get away with a bit more cam in the 3.9.

pitsnow wrote: What do you want to achieve with the cam?
If it is a reving engine you want there is no way around a set of well ported heads.
Get your head(s) sorted and the rest will follow :wink:
Indeedi, I have 2 options where heads are concerned. I am going to use the ported heads I currently have on my 3.5 but have bigger valves put in, (not the ultra big valve ones that require new seats putting in) or have the heads that came with my new engine and the efi manifold and have all that ported by real steal or someone with the big valves and bulleted valve guied etc.... A guy in North somercotes did my 3.5 ones, he seemed ok but i wouldn't have called him a rover expert, but he gets some exotic engines in.

I will possibly use the tvr 9.35:1 cast pistons and carve some off the face of the heads and block to get it higher. Not done any measurements yet or calculations so not sure if I will be able to get enough off. A guy at v8 developments gave me an other option, suggesting using hyperuetectic pistons which have flat crowns and have some valve pockets and a dish machined in them to acheive the desired compression, say 9.8.

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

ppyvabw

What is your name?

I am using a Crower 50232 in my new engine which also has the Hypereutectic pistons, (picture in thread new 4.35 engine) theres a lot of work involved using these pistons, they have a .927" gudgeon pin and require chevy rods and the decks will need machining 40thou to get them near the top of the bore, at least in my case it did, you have a shorter stroke so some careful calculation will be necessary.

If your not in a hurry I'll let you know how the cam performs once the engines got a few miles on it and the jetting is sorted, I am using Buick 300 Alloy heads heads with 1.63 Inlets and 1.4 exhausts which should match the cam nicely.

Another thing if you thinking of using a standard Hotwire EFI it won,t work with even the 50232 cam without either a re-chip or conversion to megasquirt or similar and it all starts to get a bit expensive.

I do intend to go EFI in due course and have the basic hardware already but that can wait a while and it will be easier to get it up and running on the Edelbrock 500 and performer manifold I already have.

Kevin.

Return to “Engines Area”