car wont start,i have spark and fuel,dont understand it

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

markmills2000uk

car wont start,i have spark and fuel,dont understand it

Post by markmills2000uk »

ok i just fitted a new dissy as my old one died,now iv been trying to start the car and iv got spark and when i take the plugs out they stink of fuel but i cant get the car to fire up,
if i take the two relays out the efi loom then turn it over car car backfires a lot so its definatly gettin fuel,but when i put the relays back in i still cant get it to start,

could it just be flooded or timing really far out,

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Put some new plugs in it, but before you do that, turn the engine over on the starter with the plugs out
Ian
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

GreenV8S
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by GreenV8S »

Agree with the above, also don't assume that the ignition timing is right.
Peter Humphries (and a green V8S)

LazyDocker

Post by LazyDocker »

Definately agree with above... Re-check the timing and the leads, it's easy to put the leads back wrong, as I'm sure we can all agree on as we've probably all done it in our time!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Richard

Post by Richard »

3rd'ed. Fuel + spark + backfires a lot? Maybe timing, but I'd bet it's the firing order - check the leads are in the right place first. I've sworn I had it right myself before - checking against Mr Haynes' finest - but it was completely backwards...
VEMS New Zealand Limited
Versatile Engine Management Systems : World Class Technology. Global Support.
For UK sales, visit VEMS UK

ian111s

Post by ian111s »

i had the same problem and it was the dizzy was 180' out, i moved the leads around to compensate and it fired up, so i reset the dizzy correctly and replaced all the leads.

markmills2000uk

i know what order they are supposed to go in but how do i work out which one on the dissy cap is one,i dont know where to start

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

turn the engine till No1 is on TDC compression stroke, where the rotor arm is pointing to is No1 lead. Its also possible to have the timing pointer at TDC but on exhaust stroke which sounds like is the case at the moment I.E 180 deg out.

markmills2000uk

it seems like it is 180 out,what would be causing this

would it be that its on the oil pump drive the wrong way round

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Putting the dizzy in with the shaft 180 deg out causes it, its nothing to do with the oil pump. It might not be but it does sound like it. Just because the body is in the same place doesn't mean the timing is the same when you have removed/replaced the dizzy. Its so easy to put it back a few teeth out or if the engine has been moved a full 180 deg out. Just follow what I said above and you will soon see where you are, you can then move the leads to where they need to be.

markmills2000uk

i followed it as much as i could but i cant get the timing in the right place cos the amp hits the engine so the dissy wont turn any more,

il take the dissy out n put it back it moving the shaft 180 deg round,hopefully that will fix it,cheers for ur help people
wouldnt have figured this out without you

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Why not just move the leads round to the right place even if it is just a test. There is nothing to say where the leads have to be on the dizzy, they can be anywhere. Its the order and the position to the rotor arm that matters.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

and just for reference,
passengers side (n/s) is cylinders 1,3,5 and 7
drivers side (o/s) is cylinders 2,4,6 and 8
with cylinders 1 and 2 being the forward two cylinders
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

To set the timing from unknown, I remove the drivers side rocker cover, turn the engine so both valves on no. 6 are open equally. This means no.1 is at TDC on the firing stroke.
Then I stick in the dizzy so the rotor arm is pointing to where the no. 1 lead is exiting from and so the little magnetic spider is pointing to the pickup. Then put it all back together and away it'll go!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Engines Area”