Forged pistons and rods

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

linzerl

Re: Forged pistons and rods

Post by linzerl »

I have for the past 2 years been working away on my engine based on a 4.6 block. I have done (except for top hat liners and crank grinding) the machining myself. I need to advise you that there was considerable work in machining everything to fit..I doubt if it's realistic if you're paying a machine shop.

I wanted a 9.3CR engine for my rotrex supercharger using modern, lightweight internals. After a long build time, it's now running..and running well. No dyno yet and it's unlikely to get dynoed for some time..but it is a lot more powerful than the TVR 500 engine being replaced..especially under boost as it's not knock limited, unlike the TVR. Simply upgrades like thinner piston rings, lighter pistons and rods were high on the wish list as I wanted modern internals and not other RV8 offerings.

Crank: 4.6 offset ground to 4.8
Pistons: JE 314665 Modular ford oistons. Piston pockets machined.
Rods: Manley 14044-8 with big ends thinned (these are Chev 2.00" journal sizes).. Ford little ends to suit pistons and Chev big ends for 2.00" journals.
Bearings for above thinned for journal width.
6 kg flywheel
Cam: TA performance roller with .512 lift @ 292 degrees. Heavier valve springs with valve recesses machined to suit. Roller rockers.

I too found difficulty getting lower compression parts for a supercharged engine..hence the mix of bits..and the engineering work to get it to fit.

It was a thoroughly absorbing engineering project... but looking back, low on practicality and a bit of a hit on the wallet.

Return to “Engines Area”