Remote Oil Filter

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

andyborris

Remote Oil Filter

Post by andyborris »

The Rover 3.5 V8 in my Landy has a remote oil filter because a chassis rail is in the way.
The replacement 3.9 engine, which is ex TVR has a much smaller filter, I'm not bothered by the smaller filter, I'll just change it more often.

Just wondering if there is any other advantage to having a remote filter? Esp. if the filter is fitted high up in the engine bay?

Thanks
Andy

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Remote Oil Filter

Post by ChrisJC »

I've run vehicles with and without, and never noticed any difference between them.
The only downside with a remote one is that you can get the pipes reversed and ruin your engine!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Ease of filter changes ? assuming they put the filter somewhere easy

And yes a bigger filter. Although that's an odd one. Old car filters were big....a lot of modern car filters are tiny, like really tiny. But modern oils are also a lot better, and indeed fuel, fuel injection etc etc.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

andyborris

Post by andyborris »

Thanks.

I'd say the filter is the normal old style size, but the 3.9 filter is a very small modern one. Think I'll remove the remote, less places to leak and a tidier engine bay.

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

On mine the filter is vertical so possible to completely fill with oil when doing an oil change.

One possible downside. I've noticed that if I leave the engine without oil for a period of time during an oil change the system drains and needs re-priming. Not sure if this is due to the remote filter or just a "feature" of these engines. I think if I had one installed already I'd keep it.

Return to “Engines Area”