Knackered Oil Pump?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

marsbar

Knackered Oil Pump?

Post by marsbar »

I'm pretty sure this is for the scrap bin but just in case I'm being overly cautious what are your thoughts on this oil pump.
I don't know the history of this engine but I'm amazed the cam and crank aren't shot if the oil pump is like this!!
Image2022-11-05 14.11.55 by Chris Marsland, on Flickr
Image2022-11-05 14.12.15 by Chris Marsland, on Flickr
Image2022-11-05 14.10.41 by Chris Marsland, on Flickr

Currently building AK Cobra kit car with 3.5 V8 engine (also rebuilding this at the same time!)

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: Knackered Oil Pump?

Post by GDCobra »

I'd agree with your diagnosis, wouldn't trust anything on that engine without thorough inspection. Looks like something significant got ingested.

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Re: Knackered Oil Pump?

Post by Mc Tool »

Hell yes , that has been chewing something hard for a while . Deff needs engine stripped down , pay particular attention to the ends of the lifter galleries just under the blanking plugs because swarf will collect there and if you dont clean it out this swarf will destroy your new motor. The rear plugs can be unscrewed so as to allow access for a hose or tube that one can use to flush out the front end of the gallery with kero or similar. If you can lay your hands of a rifle cleaning rod and brush this helps a lot .
I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time

Return to “Engines Area”