Oil pump switch Rover V8

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Oil pump switch Rover V8

Post by Devonrod »

Can anyone recommend where I can get a decent oil pump switch please, the 1/2 inch UNF single spade one, purchased what I thought may be a good one only to be sent a Britpart one with half the thread of the original Rover one, even Rimmers site is confusing as to what is what.
thanks

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Oil pump switch Rover V8

Post by ChrisJC »

Well I would have suggested Rimmers!, but you've ticked that one off.

Maybe Island 4x4 if you've got the Land Rover part number.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Do you mean the oil pressure warning light switch, or the gauge sender?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

I mean the oil pressure warning light switch, one I had started to flicker at hot tickover, although had oil pressure on the dash gauge also I have a gauge on the oil pump and that was ok pressure, tried two second hand switches but they were also faulty, most of the ones on line seem to have a very short thread compared to the factory ones, in fact the picture of a genuine one at £45.55 ! on rimmers site is the spitting image of the Britpart one, I emailed them and they are insintent its the right part picture even though its nothing like the three factory switches I have !!!
Its a mine field just getting a silly part like this, oh for the days when you could go into a shop and see what you are buying.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

I used one of these https://www.etbinstruments.com/index.ph ... duct_id=75

On the same site they have adaptors to whatever thread you need

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

I dont believe these suppliers ! searched for "Genuine Rover V8 oil pump switch" and this comes up !!!
https://www.sp-4x4.com/product_p/nuc100280lg.htm

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Devonrod wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:31 pm
I mean the oil pressure warning light switch, one I had started to flicker at hot tickover, although had oil pressure on the dash gauge also I have a gauge on the oil pump and that was ok pressure, tried two second hand switches but they were also faulty, most of the ones on line seem to have a very short thread compared to the factory ones, in fact the picture of a genuine one at £45.55 ! on rimmers site is the spitting image of the Britpart one, I emailed them and they are insintent its the right part picture even though its nothing like the three factory switches I have !!!
Its a mine field just getting a silly part like this, oh for the days when you could go into a shop and see what you are buying.
Less likely the switch is faulty....just your engine does not have sufficient oil pressure to turn it off. Exactly how much oil pressure does it have at idle, and is whatever gauge you are using accurate ?
And if you manually test the switch, exactly what pressure does it operate at, and what should it operate at ?

And the switches with less threads...do they not screw on or something ? How many threads do you think you need ?

A simple google brings up a plethora of options ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rover+v ... 8&dpr=1.45
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

Thanks Stevie, I have a oil pressure gauge on the oil pump and also one on the dash, both show oil pressure when the oil light is flickering.
engine is a top hat 4.6 Turner Engineering short block with 2000 miles on it
as for google search, been searching the net for days, I dont just come on here expecting my problems sorting without even trying, I only ask when I am stumped and cant find the answer on the net or asking friends.
any how went to an autojumble yesterday and got a decent new boxed switch for £2 ! so I am sorted hopefully.
Britpart on the left new one on the right in the photo.
Attachments
P1220036 (2).JPG

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Assuming the thread is the same, I doubt it being shorter makes any practical difference. You'd be best to check the oil pressure with a known accurate gauge. The light flickering at idle with a hot engine - especially with some modern oils - may not be anything to worry about.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

One on the right just looks like someone has screwed some sort of adapter/extension on to another switch.

And saying your gauges show oil pressure is vague and meaningless. How much oil pressure is what matters....vs what the switch operates at.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

paul c
Getting There
Getting There

Post by paul c »

I am having a similar issue with the oil pressure sender, DRC2479, making an adapter to fit the sender and switch together as I did on the 3.9 and wondered why I was having clearance problems. When I looked at the sender on the 3.9 it is a plastic housing not the big steel can of the new one. Google shows both types under the same number. Thinking I will reuse the one from the 3.9 as I know it worked with the guage previously rather than an unknown part.

Return to “Engines Area”