Cams & Rockers ?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

durhamsmudger

Cams & Rockers ?

Post by durhamsmudger »

Hi
First of all I didn’t want to jump on someone else’s thread and deviate the response away from what other queries might be after.

My question is fairly straightforward ( or not) I’m doing a lot of work to a RV8 and I was thinking about longevity V Performance and this is my query!

Do I simply install a very fast road cam and accept how few miles I’ll do before the cam and followers need changing , or do I go for a milder cam with roller rockers and an increased ratio, I think the roller rocker will open the valves quicker then stay open longer at top dwell allowing the piston to draw the mixture in sooner and close quicker . I am thinking this will also have the benefit of going some way to alleviating the MOT issues with valve overlap .

I am looking to the more experienced members for rock solid advice & im not really interested in specific builds but just general terms

Thanks

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Cams & Rockers ?

Post by stevieturbo »

there is no reason any cam install should not have a very long and happy life if done correctly
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

Yes no reason at all - important to ensure the cam is run in correctly with the right run in oil - basically run the engine for about 25 minutes at 2500 rpm - then run in the engine normally - ie try to even out load when driving - no long light loads and no lugging loads.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

In all the Rover V8's I've run, I've never had one noticeably wear the camshaft.

I am sure excessive wear is just down to neglecting oil changes.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Engines Area”