Rover V8 cylinder heads (again?)

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

pfg49

Rover V8 cylinder heads (again?)

Post by pfg49 »

I have done a search, I have found Coops thread on cylinder heads, so I've not just taken the easy, route, but I want to be sure I've got it right.

I have an MGB GT V8, 1975, which I think will have the pre-SD1 cylinder heads. SD1 heads are better, and I think Vitesse one are better still. This type then were fitted to various Range Rovers. Thereafter things become a bit more complicated. My question is, which is the type I need to use, and how do I identify them. What are the combustion chamber volumes on the different heads? (a lot of adverts just say a pair of Rover V8 cylinder heads), and most importantly am I going to get any benefit using them, as I don't imagine re-conditioning them properly is a cheap exercise.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Rover V8 cylinder heads (again?)

Post by ChrisJC »

The basic head design is interchangeable across all engines. The major differences are:
1. Whether it was machined for composite or tin gaskets. Composite is Range Rover P38 era.
2. Ancillary fixings. They never moved any, but they did add them. I think four at one end and 3 at the other is the max they reached.
3. Fuel Injected ones have a small notch in the top of the inlet port.

I am not sure if they ever changed valve sizes. I think there were some heads with waisted valve stems.

Personally I would go for heads from a Range Rover P38. Use composite gaskets with it. Then it's all the latest of everything.

Have a look on my page here:

https://www.cowdery.org.uk/miscv8.php

There are various pictures of the heads which might be interesting.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

jp928

Re: Rover V8 cylinder heads (again?)

Post by jp928 »

The head casting numbers , and casting date will tell you a lot. I have 2 HRC2479 heads off a Disco 2 - 28cc chambers, made for composite gaskets, dated 3/94. Bigger valves than p6B.Only 10 head bolt holes.
jp 74 P6B S

Return to “Engines Area”