Crankshaft Pulley wear

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Biffdiff42

Crankshaft Pulley wear

Post by Biffdiff42 »

I have a Rover V8 engine number 10A22974 so 1976 - 1987 era and I have just removed the front crank pulley (bolt was v tight !!) and have found that the sleeve on the back of the pulley has some wear at the location of the seal. I have removed it to replace the seal as there was a slight weep of oil and wondering if the pulley can go back on or needs replacing (fear they are expensive!) I do not have kit to measure the wear but I can feel when I run my finger over it, so am guessing at a couple of thou. Is this critical to getting an oil tight seal or can a new seal deal with some wear on the pulley sleeve.

Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated as I am quite new to this engine, and finding my way round it.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Crankshaft Pulley wear

Post by DaveEFI »

https://simplybearings.co.uk/

Do sleeve kits to go over the worn part of the pulley. Much cheaper than a new assembly. Used one on my SD1.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Biffdiff42

Post by Biffdiff42 »

Thank you the guidance and as I am a bit of a newbie to this process could you give a bit more guidance on how this works? So does the existing sleeve have to go on a lathe to have the diameter reduced to fit the new sleeve over it or if the sleeve goes straight over it do I need a different sized oil seal ? Also, how does the new sleeve attach to the existing one?

Also any guidance on size would be very useful, such as which one you purchased ?

Thanks in advance.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

The sleeve is very thin spring steel and a tight fit with a shoulder at one end. The kit you get has lubricant and applier. You simply bash it into place and then snap off the shoulder. The existing seal will fit over it - but I'd get a new one to a better spec at the same time from Simply Bearings. They will also supply a sleeve correct for the RV8 pulley. Or you can measure and specify your own.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Biffdiff42

Post by Biffdiff42 »

Many thanks, and I have dropped a line to Simply Bearings to get the details sorted out. That is a big help as I was not sure on how to deal with it.

I will then get to the other end of the engine and remove the gear box to get to the rear seal which is leaking badly, which could be an interesting on to deal with!!

Return to “Engines Area”