Rover v8 sumps.

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jenand40
Getting There
Getting There

Rover v8 sumps.

Post by jenand40 »

I have a Rover 4.2 engine fitted in my Triumph Stag with an SD1 sump. I have never managed to get the sump to seal correctly, there has always been a drip from at least one of the bolts. The sump mating flange was checked for flatness before fitting and I used a thick gasket. Have seen, on EBay, that you can now get an additional support plate that bolts to the outer flange face to provide a more even clamping force. Has anyone tried these, are they any good?
Have also thought about using the later cast sump but I do not have a lot of room between the sump and crossmember. Does anyone have access to the SD1 and later cast sumps that could compare heights for me?

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rover v8 sumps.

Post by DaveEFI »

I don't think they made a cast one in the SD1 shape - all at the back to clear the cross member?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I found that the rearmost two bolt holes go right through to the inside of the engine. This means that oil will weep down the bolt threads and out of any tiny orifices between the bolt, washer and sump.

I fixed it with a load of instant gasket on the threads.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

jenand40
Getting There
Getting There

Post by jenand40 »

Dave, always a quick reply.

Chris, I did not realise that, I will try sealing those 2 threads.

Thank you both.

Andy.

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

jenand40 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:07 am
I have a Rover 4.2 engine fitted in my Triumph Stag with an SD1 sump. I have never managed to get the sump to seal correctly, there has always been a drip from at least one of the bolts. The sump mating flange was checked for flatness before fitting and I used a thick gasket. Have seen, on EBay, that you can now get an additional support plate that bolts to the outer flange face to provide a more even clamping force. Has anyone tried these, are they any good?
Have also thought about using the later cast sump but I do not have a lot of room between the sump and crossmember. Does anyone have access to the SD1 and later cast sumps that could compare heights for me?
The sump has to also match with the front cover used. Cast ali sump was only used with the later THOR front cover - but anyway I suspect it would be too deep for a car application. I re-build my 4.6 using the GEMS ranger over steel sump which came with my engine and it was much deeper - only an inch or two from the ground compared to the previous 3.5 SD1 engine/sump.

If you have a cross bolted block I think one or two of these cross bolts also go into an oil passage and can weep?
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

jp928

Post by jp928 »

The 2 rear sump bolts go into the rear main cap, are slightly longer than the other bolts, and should have a steel reinforcing strip to better clamp that edge of the sump.
jp 74 P6B S

Return to “Engines Area”