Rocker shaft. Whats the max clearance?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

rich112
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Rocker shaft. Whats the max clearance?

Post by rich112 »

What clearance would be OK on the rocker shaft?

I can feel some ridges on mine. I'll measure up tomorrow and see, but rockers feel a bit rattely!

Replacement shafts seem pretty cheap but I have volvo rocker arms and I'm not sure where I can get them or if they can be rebushed?
Attachments
20220206_170311 (Medium).jpg
20220206_170318 (Medium).jpg

rich112
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Re: Rocker shaft. Whats the max clearance?

Post by rich112 »

This is a volvo shaft as its 22mm.

I'm measuring 0.13mm clearance worst case, so they are a bit worn.

I would guess 0.05mm would be the right clearance?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

It's a good question. I have no idea as each time I rebuild an engine, I buy new shafts and rockers as they are so cheap.

It means I have quite a few old rocker shafts though!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

paul c
Getting There
Getting There

Post by paul c »

There are no figures in any of the Rover manuals that I have seen, they only tell you to inspect for wear, if any is present I guess that they expect you to replace them. I replaced my shafts and rockers, though the replacement rockers I got were steel rather than the expensive alloy ones.
Is there any benefit to having adjustable rockers if you are using hydraulic lifters? I would have thought it of no purpose if the pedestals have been shimmed anyway.

rich112
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by rich112 »

paul c wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:02 pm
There are no figures in any of the Rover manuals that I have seen, they only tell you to inspect for wear, if any is present I guess that they expect you to replace them. I replaced my shafts and rockers, though the replacement rockers I got were steel rather than the expensive alloy ones.
Is there any benefit to having adjustable rockers if you are using hydraulic lifters? I would have thought it of no purpose if the pedestals have been shimmed anyway.
I have no idea why this motor was built the way it was, but for some reason they went with adjustable volvo rockers and shaft. I doubt I'll find find new volvo rockers and shaft anywhere? Might just have to revert to stock, which means new pushrods and pedestals too...

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

This might be a useful thread, I had some issues a few years back with some cheap rockers being a very loose fit on the shaft.

Took a while to find it as the forum search wasn't picking up older posts!

http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... c&start=15
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Richard P6
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Richard P6 »

paul c wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:02 pm
They allow you to get the same pre-load on all cylinders, which depending on how far they are out, does make a positive difference. My 4.0L has adjustable push rods, which amounts to very much the same thing.
Rover P6 4L V8
Megasquirt MS1 EDIS
5 Speed

Return to “Engines Area”