General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Wish i went to Uxbridge.

Post by ian.stewart »

Oh well I think I have Killed the engine, Something has let go, Burnout time at North weald, 7k, flicked off the line lock, and the car coasted to a halt, Tried starting it, engine turned over, but would not fire, Got pushed to the side, First thing the Startline marshal said, Bet your drive pin in the dissy has gone, and taking the cap off sure enough, the dissy was not turning over with the engine,
Long push back up the pits, and pull the dissy, but to my disapointment, the dissy came out intact :cry: turn the engine over again look down the dissy hole and turn the engine over again and the cam does not appear to turn over :shock: :shock: :shock: So we have now narrowed it down to broken double roller cam chain or gears. key in cam or crank faild, Or nose of Cam or Crank broken off, what ever it is, the oil pump will have stopped and there will be Valve damage as well,
Ian :shock: :shock: :shock:

THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Bummer Ian.

If I can help out with new chain or anything else then let me know.

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

Cheers mate, when I get the car home and pull the front off the engine and see what the damage is I will decide where i go from here, I can see the ally headed stroker SBF on the horizon soon
THE SMOKING GNU

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

sorry to hear that mate,
if there is anything i can do to help just shout,
i have my spare 3.9 bottom end here which is stripped out though, that your welcome to use if you need an engine asap
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

thev8kid wrote:sorry to hear that mate,
if there is anything i can do to help just shout,
i have my spare 3.9 bottom end here which is stripped out though, that your welcome to use if you need an engine asap
Cheers mate, I have a 3.5 under the bench that has a good crank, ive got the car up my mates drive at the moment not far from the weald, hopefully i will get it back in a few days,
Ian
THE SMOKING GNU

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Ok mate,
like i said if there is anything i can do just shout,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

That sucks!

Need a new bottom end? I have one. . . . . And some RS heads. . . . .
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

Bad luck about the engine Ian. I've got a decent 3.9 crank somewhere, if need it let me know.

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

What was the score with this?

Did the crank pulley get loose or something?

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

I don't know what i have broken yet, I still have to recover the car from my mates, All plans were going well until some W-nker decided to torch the flatbed the other night that I was going to borrow :( :( I dont think it will be home until Friday afternoon now,
I am hopeing the damage wont be too serious as nothing exited the sump and the engine turns over by hand, I have a suspicion its the timing chain has broken, so hopefully it may be a couple of clipped valves or bent pushrods, The engine was due for a freshen up soon, so I have had to bring my plans forward a few months, If the engine is too damaged beyond economical repair, I will break the engine, sell the bits on Fleabay, then rob a bank and build a ally headed, stroked SBF, with a target of 450hp, I have a few bits laying about for it already, Like a downdraft manifold, and a adaptor plate to fit the sbf to a Toyota box, I think I may have a steel flywheel and a good clutch somewhere as well
THE SMOKING GNU

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

Well your engine is going against all traditional rv8 beliefs.

You have a high revving powerful 3.9 using a wobbly old p6 flexi block with two bolt mains, standard rods and a regular 7k redline and of all the things to break its a super dooper 'ard as nails timing chain!

Good show!

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

Lets hope it's not the cam that broke... can't see you finding another one of those in a hurry.

The Original Tom
Getting There
Getting There

Post by The Original Tom »

ihatesissycars wrote:Well your engine is going against all traditional rv8 beliefs.

You have a high revving powerful 3.9 using a wobbly old p6 flexi block with two bolt mains, standard rods and a regular 7k redline and of all the things to break its a super dooper 'ard as nails timing chain!

Good show!
The guy at a garage near me reckons one of his customers has a bored and stroked N/A RV8 in his SD1 that's been dynoed at nearly 500bhp.
Not only is it a 2-bolt main engine, but it's not even cross-bolted! :shock:

Now there's no way I believe 500bhp, but even if it's 350, I'd still be waiting for the crank to tear itself free every time it started up :!:
Rover 3.5 V8 landy - Completely rebuilt and purring... Now awaiting a good tune!!

5000SE
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by 5000SE »

The Original Tom wrote:The guy at a garage near me reckons one of his customers has a bored and stroked N/A RV8 in his SD1 that's been dynoed at nearly 500bhp.
Not only is it a 2-bolt main engine, but it's not even cross-bolted! :shock:

Now there's no way I believe 500bhp, but even if it's 350, I'd still be waiting for the crank to tear itself free every time it started up :!:
IF it's running Wildcats, throttle bodies or 4 twin carbs, big capacity, on forged pistons, steel rods etc, it may just be possible (even then only if he's using a full race cam and revving the nuts off it).

Otherwise, he talking out of his arse - as I think you suspect yourself.
No substitute for cubic inches

The Original Tom
Getting There
Getting There

Post by The Original Tom »

When I said "What size valves has he got in that thing then! He must be on custom heads for that" His reply was "No, standard big-valve heads"
It's a 5.0 liter, on 4 webber twin-barrels, but unless he was wrong about the heads being standard, he was spouting crap as I suspected!
Rover 3.5 V8 landy - Completely rebuilt and purring... Now awaiting a good tune!!

Return to “Engines Area”