Gapless rings

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

robert

Gapless rings

Post by robert »

Has anybody been useing them in a RV8? i have a 5.0 litre stroker with ford pistons, has glazed the bores(over fueled me thinks!) want to try the gapless type rings. any info much appreciated. :D

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

not used them but have read alot about them, meant to be worth quite a few BHP on a tuned motor but need slightly more wall thickness on the bores to work properly, expensive compared to standard rings but bhp/£ meant to be a good bet (better than fancy coatings for instance). Decided not to use them on my build only because the pistons (marhl) came with metric rings and the price for gapless rings on these is about twice that of imperial.

Mike
poppet valves rule!

Boosted LS1
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Boosted LS1 »

I've used them on several blown rovers and a fair few blown cosworth v6's. Never had any problems with them but can't say if they made gains or not. That's been a hot potato amongst builders for eons.

Whatever you do you'll need to hone the bores properly.

robert

Post by robert »

Ive heard they need a different type of honeing process. whats the difference :?: Im told a special stone is required but cant find anyone who knows for sure wich type :(

Boosted LS1
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Boosted LS1 »

Yes, that's true. They do recommend certain grit for the stones but people here don't have the stones if you ask them specifically. My engines just get honed with 'normal' stones and seem to bed in just fine. Maybe our stones are the right grade anyway?

Return to “Engines Area”