Smokey exhausts off throttle. TVR Chimaera V8

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

dbv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Smokey exhausts off throttle. TVR Chimaera V8

Post by dbv8 »

Been seeing a lot of smoke in the mirrors at the top end of the drags strip when backing off and braking.

I did think it may have been tyre smoke from the drag radials touching the chassis and arches under heavy breaking but a witness says it looks to be coming from the exhaust but only at the top end of the run not on gearchanges.

My engine was recently rebuilt with refurbed heads including new valave seals. The engine is clean on the outside still. I did a compression test and all 8 were between 200 and 225. The rocker breather feeds to a catch tank and that used to feed to the plenum but this was changed and the inlets to the plenum were plugged. The catch tank now feeds to air.

Any ideas?

10.612 @ 129.77
176.5 standing mile.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
could be sucking oil in from the valley past the gasket/valley cover as you lift off at high speed, by the top of the run there is probably quite a bit of oil built up in the valley area and with no crank case vacuum oil mist is getting pulled into the inlet.
The slingshot did this early on but because the Chevy has a paper gasket that is a bit thicker is sucked the bottom bit of the gasket through the engine then wouldn't run properly!
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

dbv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dbv8 »

:?
not sure where you mean?
Can you explain further please?
There is no feed into my inlet now so i cant see any oil vapour entering there
10.612 @ 129.77
176.5 standing mile.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
where the bottom of the head joins the block the gasket face between the head and the inlet manifold is very narrow, the gasket/valley cover forms the top of the valley however it also tends to lift gasket away from the head surface at the corner this offers an area for the inlet vacuum to draw air from the valley into the inlet tract. On my Chevy this is bad enough to draw the (admittedly thin) bottom of the gasket into the inlet port and through the engine.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Could be too much oil in the sump surging when you brake and it's getting whipped up by the crank onto the bores. I had this happen on a 4.6 with a 3.9 sump.
OR your rings are not yet bedded in and high vacuum when on overrun is sucking oil up into the combustion zone.

Regards Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Return to “Engines Area”