RV8 Ticking Noise at Idle

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

MendipWursel

RV8 Ticking Noise at Idle

Post by MendipWursel »

I have a 3.5 Rover V8 (about 1980) in a kit car that has just started to make a ticking noise at idle. The noise goes away as the revs rise.... above about a 1000 to 1500 rpm the noise more of less disappears. It doesn't make a 'ticking' sound when the engine is cold, only when it warms up. It sounds like a tappet noise, but I may be wrong.

The engine had a new 'cam' and 'lifters' about 2000 miles ago, and the cam chain was replaced. The big ends are good.

Any suggestions as to what this could be??

Many Thanks

Kevin

Kevin

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Leaking exhaust manifold?
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

MendipWursel

Post by MendipWursel »

Ian Anderson wrote:Leaking exhaust manifold?
Hi and thanks .... I had a look at the exhaust and it is not the problem.
The noise is engine based..... a tap, tap, tap sort of sound
Last edited by MendipWursel on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

It does sound a bit like a tappet - even although they are new.
Easy test is to remove the rocker covers and insert a feeler gauge between each rocker and valve in turn with the engine idling. If the noise goes away you've proved it. Note you'll probably wreck the feeler gauge.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

cammmy
Getting There
Getting There

Post by cammmy »

Sounds like low oil pressure at idle to me. Engine warms up, oil thins, low pressure causes lifters to not fully pump; meaning the valve is closing on a more aggressive part of the lobe rather than the less aggressive ramp (for lifting/placing the valve on/off the seat gently). You rev the engine and the pressure builds causing the lifters to operate properly.

What viscosity oil are you running? Is your pump in good nick? Have you got a pressure gauge/warning light?

MendipWursel

Post by MendipWursel »

cammmy wrote:Sounds like low oil pressure at idle to me. Engine warms up, oil thins, low pressure causes lifters to not fully pump; meaning the valve is closing on a more aggressive part of the lobe rather than the less aggressive ramp (for lifting/placing the valve on/off the seat gently). You rev the engine and the pressure builds causing the lifters to operate properly.

What viscosity oil are you running? Is your pump in good nick? Have you got a pressure gauge/warning light?
Hi, I use 20W50 oil .... oil pressure is good, fairly new oil pump with strengthened spring to increase oil pressure. This sounds like a single tappet noise, if it is a tappet (not a multi tappet noise).
Thanks
Kevin

cammmy
Getting There
Getting There

Post by cammmy »

Cool, I'm still inclined to think it's pressure related. Perhaps one tappet that's a bit dodgy and bleeding down too quickly?

As far as I understand that's exactly how the rhoads lifters work. They bleed down quickly at low RPM to reduce cam duration (and are noisy as a result) but then pump up to provide full lift at higher RPM (and quieten down in the process).

j.johnson23
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by j.johnson23 »

A lot of the lifters used now are nasty things,I rebuilt my engine 2 years ago and within a 1000 miles I had that ticking appear at idle.
Checked push rods then had to take inlet off and check lifters and cam,one lifter had collapsed due to the check valve falling apart.I would have exchanged it but had bought them over 12 months previously.
I replaced it and reassembled top end,touch wood its been fine since.
I think it may be impossible to get good quality lifters any more as I`ve heard that even the top brands of cam only come with the nasty ones.
P.s. I took one of the lifters from a low mile p6 v8 engine I had and found that the internals would not swap between bodies which I found odd.
I found that the new rockers and arms I bought had more play in them than the old ones,I had heard about these issues but could not believe how poor the stuff for these engines is these days,no wonder new old stock sells fast and is no longer cheap.

cammmy
Getting There
Getting There

Post by cammmy »

Iskenderian 202-HY anti-pump lifters from summit racing.

Supposed to be good for over 7,000rpm

Return to “Engines Area”