Crankshaft pulley

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Crankshaft pulley

Post by adamnreeves »

I ordered a 4.8 serpentine pulley for my engine which turns out to be the wrong one. The issue I have is that I do not know what I need!

Well I know I am using the intermediate timing cover on my 4.6 Gems engine and I am using a serpentine drive. But this seems to be insufficient in which to order the part.

They are asking for part numbers. Bearing in mind that I need the entire crank pulley assembly what else do I need, damper, etc.

Cheers,
Adam.

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

They should know! Tell them its the first engine to have a serp belt, a 3.9. All the 3.9's that had serp belts are the same. Rimmerbros?

If you can use a lathe you could make a pulley to bolt onto a standard damper.

Edited to say the complete bottom pulley is made up of three parts, the damper, a balance ring (goes on the back of the damper) and the front serp belt pulley which goes on the front.
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

seight
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by seight »

You'll need a crank damper and the correct pulley to attach to it. Both probably from an intermediate engine although as you have a long nose crank I'm not 100% sure. The intermediate had a short nose with long keyway so I think you would need a spacer.
John Eales advertises a crank damper on his site which may or may not be cheaper than a Rimmer Bros part.
The intermediate pulley has a bigger offset than the later dissyless version.
You can see it all on Mez's site.
Mike

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Thanks Mike,
I have the long nose crank yes with intermediate cover and therefore do indeed have the spacer, I have the thrus washer and bolt, just need the right pulley.

My problem is that I am ordering from a box shifter and they want part numbers, no good sending photos or describing.

seight wrote:You'll need a crank damper and the correct pulley to attach to it. Both probably from an intermediate engine although as you have a long nose crank I'm not 100% sure. The intermediate had a short nose with long keyway so I think you would need a spacer.
John Eales advertises a crank damper on his site which may or may not be cheaper than a Rimmer Bros part.
The intermediate pulley has a bigger offset than the later dissyless version.
You can see it all on Mez's site.
Mike

seight
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by seight »

I see.

Might be better to start with the LR/RR models that had the intermediate engine which I think one was the '93 3.9 Disco but again I'm not 100% on this.

What are the odds on an intermediate damper/pulley being 3x the price of any other I wonder? Hope not as I will need soon one too!

Mike

Return to “Engines Area”