Flat plane crank - Cam

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

oneaves2005

Flat plane crank - Cam

Post by oneaves2005 »

Has anyone had a cam made to go with a flat plane crank in an RV8? If so where from and at what cost.....

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Not had one done myself, but I was rummaging around on the CRANE Cams site and they claim that if you contact them they will do whatever you need for you....
Cheers,
John

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Do you have a flat plane crank then?

oneaves2005

Post by oneaves2005 »

I don't have one yet but will get one made over the winter if all goes well. I just wondered if anyone knows of a cam profile that works and has been tried and tested. I have spoken to piper and they will make one up also but there must be someone who makes them up at the moment as there are enough people running flat plane cranks.

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Why bother - just fit the TVR AJP engine.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

My friend has contacted the usual cam suppliers and the price is around 800 quid mark. He has a 40 mm stroke TVR flat plane crank. Only needs to sort the rods and the cam.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
You are aware of the vibration issues asociated with a flat plane crank?
The AJP is actually probably a simpler and cheeper alternative unless it absolutly must be a rover block.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Our stupid legislation makes it more or less impoosible to stuff a V8 into a small car. You can only increase the capacity +25 % over the largest engine within the model range. So, it is tempting to create a 2 litre V8 using a TVR flat plane crank and get a legal V8 equipped car.

Then there are the interpretations, e.g. Sierra model range where you have Cosworths and XR4 models. SA versions like XR8 is not applicable, same for Peranas because our DoT exclusdes any versions from SA or Australia market. 5 litre Sierra would be very nice.

Vibrations would be an issue, would be nice to know of TVR had any tricks with their engine, maybe the supercharger is used as balancing shaft :D

oneaves2005

Post by oneaves2005 »

Indeed, it has to be a rover v8 block, 3.9l + 0.80 and the stroke must be 71.12mm....

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

minorv8 wrote:Our stupid legislation makes it more or less impoosible to stuff a V8 into a small car. You can only increase the capacity +25 % over the largest engine within the model range. So, it is tempting to create a 2 litre V8 using a TVR flat plane crank and get a legal V8 equipped car.

Then there are the interpretations, e.g. Sierra model range where you have Cosworths and XR4 models. SA versions like XR8 is not applicable, same for Peranas because our DoT exclusdes any versions from SA or Australia market. 5 litre Sierra would be very nice.

Vibrations would be an issue, would be nice to know of TVR had any tricks with their engine, maybe the supercharger is used as balancing shaft :D
Where in the world are you?

Regards,
Dave

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

scudderfish wrote:Where in the world are you?
Regards,
Dave
Obvious, Europe. Ive read all his issues in Appendix J & Appendix K.

While I was building my race car a just few years back I was following appendix J which made my car fall in to Group 2. ( Ford had no GP2 homologation for my car)
Finally got the car finished and "J " got replaced by Appendix K and my car falls into nothing. I gave up and made the car road legal.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Finland mate :D

We are supposed to have a specific approval system where you can get oversize engines approved but you basically need to justify why you want to do that. Racing etc is not accepted. Just for fun or good sounds are lousy excuses as well :lol:

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
The AJP has 2 ballancer shafts running at 2X engine speed one on each side of the crank, No tricks it is just the way you have to go to get rid of seconday harmonics.
You can see the sprockets for them in this photo
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_E5ELxVgPQd4/T ... blog_3.jpg

Why not use a normal 90 degree crank, with the reduces stroke you could use a built up crank motorcycle style, if you did some carefull parts selection and got the weight right down it would be pretty easy to get it fully ballanced and have it rev like mad making up for the lack of capacity. The flat plane aproach sounds simple to start with but when you get into it it is not.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Mike, he already has the crank :D

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

minorv8 wrote:Mike, he already has the crank :D
That's not quite how it reads above - and I have never been aware of any sort of numbers of people running flat plane RV8 motors. Just seems hugely expensive for little point - Unless someone wants to spend some time explaining the reasoning behind it all and why it makes sense.

Sidecar wrote:Do you have a flat plane crank then?
oneaves2005 wrote:I don't have one yet but will get one made over the winter if all goes well. I just wondered if anyone knows of a cam profile that works and has been tried and tested. I have spoken to piper and they will make one up also but there must be someone who makes them up at the moment as there are enough people running flat plane cranks.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

Return to “Engines Area”