can 4.6 block be rebored?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

conrod
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

can 4.6 block be rebored?

Post by conrod »

I have a 4.6 engine that I am rebuilding to put in my race car tow vehicle (LDV van). We have measured the block, and found it has too much wear to hone and re- ring. This means either a rebore to first oversize, or a new set of liners and back to std size. As it is on the std bore this would mean finding a set of +.020" pistons and rings (these seem rather scarce?) and boring to this oversize. There was no evidence of a cracked block before. Won't be looking for big hp, (250hp max, but with good torque and I will be running it much cooler than in the RR (around 80°C) so that might help things too. I have been told overboring might weaken the liner, as it is already very thin.

I really don't want to spend a lot of money putting top hat liners in if I can avoid it. So my question is, would going +0.020" be too risky in one of these engines, or am I safe?

Conrad

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

HI
+20 is fine, +36 is also a common option (chevy 305 pistons) and therefor +40 is also viable wthout new liners.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

conrod
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by conrod »

thanks Mike, good to know:) I will try to find some oversize pistons.

cheers Conrad

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Land Rover do not recommend reboring the block. This is why there are no genuine parts oversize pistons.

Of course you might be able to do something as Mike says.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Real Steel do +20 4.6 pistons
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

"Land Rover do not recommend reboring the block. "
Hi Chris
don't you think that might be a way of selling more blocks? call me an untrusting sole!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

conrod
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by conrod »

thanks for the replies guys, I will probably go with Real Steel, and get one of their camshaft kits while I am at it. :D I do understand why LR do not recommend reboring, and know it is a risk, but am prepared to give it a crack (bad choice of words I suppose!)

Does anyone know the volume of the dish in the 4.0 piston, and the volume of the dish in the 4.6 piston? I know the 4.0 is less and will bump the CR up, but are we talking 10:1, 11:1 or what? Initially I will run on petrol (96 octane) but may possibly fit LPG in the future, so a higher CR will certainly help there. But I don't want to go too high and make it unusable on pump gas.

cheers Conrad
Last edited by conrod on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

4 litre piston dish is 13,2 cc and 4,6 litre piston is 22,3 cc.

Piston swap would bring the CR up about one whole point i.e. from 9,35 to 10,3. Most likely a bit less but can´t remember exactly.

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Land Rover do not recommend reboring the block. This is why there are no genuine parts oversize pistons.
I remember seeing a Volkswagen VR6 engine in bits and pieces at local engine shop a few years back. It was worn and needed a rebore but there were no OEM or aftermarket oversize pistons available. Maybe factories calculate that people buy new cars after a few years so there is simply no need for engine rebuild especially if the body itself slowly corrodes away. Basically hte engine lasts the lifetime of the car itself. :D

conrod
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by conrod »

minorv8 wrote:4 litre piston dish is 13,2 cc and 4,6 litre piston is 22,3 cc.

Piston swap would bring the CR up about one whole point i.e. from 9,35 to 10,3. Most likely a bit less but can´t remember exactly.
awesome, just what I was looking for! :D

by my calcs. that will give a CR of 10.66:1 when 4.0 piston is fitted to 4.6 engine. Might be a touch high for my requirements?

minorv8 wrote:
I remember seeing a Volkswagen VR6 engine in bits and pieces at local engine shop a few years back. It was worn and needed a rebore but there were no OEM or aftermarket oversize pistons available. Maybe factories calculate that people buy new cars after a few years so there is simply no need for engine rebuild especially if the body itself slowly corrodes away. Basically hte engine lasts the lifetime of the car itself. :D
yeah that would sound about right. The 4.6 engine I got had covered 170,000kms and was bascially worn out. The RR that it came out of had so many faults that it was not worth repairing, so fair to say that vehicle had reached its "use by" date. By comparison, the 2001 Mondeo 2.0 that I sold the other day had just clicked over 300,000kms, and was going as strong as the day I bought it 8 years ago.

cheers Conrad

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

It is worth bearing in mind that the liners are already pretty thin in the 4.6 engines, Land Rover made them as thin as they could get away with.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

ChrisJC wrote:It is worth bearing in mind that the liners are already pretty thin in the 4.6 engines, Land Rover made them as thin as they could get away with.

Chris.
Are the liners thinner on a 4.6 compared to a 3.9 block?

I have rebored 3 no 3.9's to +20 thou without problem.

Regards Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

I'd think it is possible- as the later 4.0+4.6's are more prone to liner cracking than the 3.9's- maybe it is down to thinner/poorer quality liners?
TC

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

The liners are the same, the cracking is a result of the core shift when the block is cast, the larger journal blocks are more prone to core shift for whatever region, we run Chevy 305 pistons at 36 thou overbore so +20 should be no problem. The iron liner is not the weak point. It's the aluminium behind it.

Alan

Dixie6789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dixie6789 »

bigaldart wrote:The liners are the same, the cracking is a result of the core shift when the block is cast, the larger journal blocks are more prone to core shift for whatever region, we run Chevy 305 pistons at 36 thou overbore so +20 should be no problem. The iron liner is not the weak point. It's the aluminium behind it.

Alan
Hi Alan.

Are you using Chevvy 305 pistons on a std 4.6 crank?

thanks Mark
Mark

Return to “Engines Area”