Laying up engine

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mx5v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Laying up engine

Post by mx5v8 »

Maybe selling my car or taking it off the road shortly. If I decide to take it off the road it will be laid up for about a year, is there anything I should do to protect the engine?
Cheers Andy

teamidris
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by teamidris »

Classical stuff like oil down the bores is good. Maybe blank off the air intake so damp cannot get in?
Unfortunately one set of valve springs are compressed, but there is little you can do about that if is really static.
The exhaust suffers as damp in there eats it. Havn't gat a fix for that either :(

When you come down it the main problems seem to be rusty bores, sticking piston rings and valves that take a while to re-seat. Keep it dry and oiled up and you are most of the way there :)

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

You could give it a manual turn over by hand (ratchet on crank pulley) every 3 months by 3/4 turn, it will move the valves, springs, rings etc and should stop them sticking, unless it is damp where being stored, when you could put a little oil down teh ports perhaps?
TC

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Are you not able to run the engine once a month to warm it through?

If not I would drain all the fuel out that you can and then run it until the fuel runs out.

At least this way you wont suffer with stale fuel possibly gumming things up.
As the guys have also said, do things like oil the bores. Leave the spark plugs in finger tight so its easier to whip them out and turn it over by hand now and then. I would also think about giving the whole engine a spray down with WD40 to give it some moisture protection. Mainly to stop anoying white stains that will build up on the ally.
Get it up on stands so the tyres dont sit under weight for a year. Paint the tyre sidewalls inside and out with tyre softener or autoglym rubber protection stuff. A lot of companies do stuff like this. This will reduce the risk of tyre walls cracking while stored.
Disconnect and remove the battery as well. Get under and hit all the joints you can with spray grease or 3in1 oil spray, again just to offer some sort of barrier against moisture problems.
Also cover the car with a cheap breathable dust cover.

If the storage area is reasonably dry I would also consider leaving the windows open a few inches so air can circulate.

I think I've been around old MG's too long. The above only just scratches the surface of what some folk to do store their old Leyland stuff :)

Ideal situation would be to buy a carcoon ??

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

If it easy to get your rocker covers off then you could remove them and then remove the rocker assemblies. Re-fit the covers and place each rocker shaft in a bag and seal it up. (Don't forget to re-fit the assemblies before firing the engine up!) Doing this will stop any of the valve springs going 'soft'.

mx5v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mx5v8 »

Cheers for the replies, it'll be stored in a well vented garage. Don't have to worry about the exhaust as that is already going and will need to be replaced anyway. I suppose the best option is to crank it over every so often.
Would it be best to leave the coolant in or drain it off.

Andy

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Assuming it is the correct coolant, leave it in. It has anti-corrosive properties.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

j.johnson23
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by j.johnson23 »

When laying my car up over winter I disconnect ignition coil and get someone to spin it over while I spray wd40 down the carb throats,use a screwdriver on su`s to hold piston up.
Its enough to line everything with a thin coat to stop corrosion.
No probs starting come the spring as long as coil is reconnected!-caught me out the first time.
Have done this for 12 years.

Return to “Engines Area”