Forged Setup Advice

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Coops wrote:I know what your saying mate but your not the one who has been at the end of constant abuse and snide remarks via PM on facebook
and im afraid to say it, a couple of them were members from this exact forum, (note WERE)
I was not going to say anything about the remarks but I have now,
now can you see why im at my end with it all, im trying to get an engine sorted, then get poop thrown at me, if it discredits me then so be it, the persons sending me comments on facebook should also realise what its doing, f***** good confidence builder, and I thought they were classed as friends how wrong I was,

And yes the forum domain is up for renewal in 3 months if it carries yes I will step down, and call it quits,
I have no one local to me who I can pop round to and go have little issue need some advice, hence why mistakes have been made yes expensive ones, like others have made but to keep getting it thrown at me is now wearing thin,

Coops ! If anyone has been chucking snide remarks your way via PM's on facebook or anywhere else on the V8OF then they obviously dont have the nads to rock up on here or anywhere else to spout their crap in public.... AKA W*****S :) They are obviously Keyboard warriors who possibly dont even own a race car ! Most of them dont mate ;) How do I know ?? I've had so many tossers send me pm's via Youtube to tell me that my MG is shite and that they would love to meet me to knock me the fook out as my UK car is shite etc etc I've even had a shed load of negative comments from UK folk on my Youtube vids who all say that my MG is shite etc etc... And I have always taken the time to tell them

" Hi, I'm grateful for your input. I'm doing the best I can with what I can afford to build. I am am sorry that my attempts to make the numbers are not up to your standards but I can only do what I can afford eh ? I'm happy with what I have achieved so far to be honest. What car have you built to run on the 1/4 mile? What times does it run on the 1/4 mile" bugger me if none of these replies from me ever get an answer? :)

There was one Yank who complained about the quality of my videos of the MGB racing. He said he wanted to come over here and knock me the Fook out?? My reply to him was "" I'm sorry that the quality of my video was below your expectaions my American friend. I'm also sorry that you feel the need to take the time to come to the UK and knock me the fook out. ? If you have the money to come over here to do that then surely you would be better off spending it to make your car run quicker than mine. What car have you built and how quick does it run on the 1/4 mile ? " That was 3 years ago and I'm still waiting for a reply :)

Coops! If you are getting shite from W*****S via PM's who wont post their bullcrap up in public they are not worth worrying about Dude. They obviously dont know what they are talking aobut :)

From what I can see so far the only replies you have had from us V8OF mob is just what we know because most of us have been there and have the T shirts on breaking Rover V8's ;)

Pel x

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

you always manage to make me smile
just chuckled reading that what you wrote lol,

its the school bully thing though aint it, can laugh it off for so long then it starts wearing you down to the point you don't care anymore,

Its been a manic couple of weeks for me and the family here though. and still no easier, DJ Knows what has happened, as messaged him and apologised how I reacted on the post.

P.S you cant read my pms on facebook :lol: so you will only see the posts on the group page :lol:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

Thank god I don't have facebook. Again it proves to me to be a waste of time.
If I want to chat to somebody, I can visit him, call him up, sent him an email or text message him.

Next back on topic.... Tony step down on horsepower. Build a Capri you can enjoy.
I stepped down years ago cause I never can be the fastest. There will always be someone that is faster.
I run 4psi now, it still goes like stink and have less worries it will break.
Did several Classic Ford shows with it driving it all the way from Holland.
People don't know how much horsepower it has now, its the V8 sound and blower whine that does the job.

I don't care what others say. Others always have more Horsepoo. I just enjoy the ride.

Build the same engine you had. Consider forged pistons and see if you can lower Cr on that ( custom made pistons ).

Lower boost by an other drive pulley. Nigel from UKBlowers should be able to make you one ( wasn't' hundreds what I paid years ago ).
Or Old Skool Technique.... plump an external waste gate in the intake route and blow off excess of air before the throttle. Those exhaust type external waste gates will work fine.
Its how the vintage Turbo kits worked on the continent ( like May Turbo and Capri Turbo ) They had a fresh air waste gate as the turbo kept on spooling.

Your engine combo ran great, but wasn't durable.
Two ways to make it durable, big investments or just step down on horsepower. If it was my money I would step down and just enjoy that red thing. Your kiddo's would love it being able to take them with you for a drive on any occasion you would like.

And don't step down on this forum.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Coops wrote:yes Elliot.
please don't give me a lecture just about had enough of that on facebook over boost and cast pistons,
I don't do face book (or any other type of unsocial media) and I missed wherever that info (the cr) was made public - hence why I asked, I wasn't trying to be smart.

Don't give up on things - As Pel said, stick it in the corner and come back to it later.

And whatever you do, do let this forum die - speak to me first before even considering that.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

dbv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dbv8 »

Seems to me you have a lot of support Tony. I see what others say on FB and its all just personal opinion, the odd keyboard warrior and people just being curious i think. To be taken with a pinch of salt.
Being a true northener i get abuse in varying degrees from most people. The heaviest of which comes from my closest friends. So i am used to it :D

Stick with the plan mate, 1 step at a time. Block checked, rebuild to a budget you are happy with, Get the new pulleys made up to run say 7psi and then go run easy 11's

The smile will be back on your face before you know it and all this will be much forgotten.

Stay cool brother we are all behind you 8-)
10.612 @ 129.77
176.5 standing mile.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Stick with it Coops
He'll just stick a standard 3.9 in it and drive it for a few years.

You have the mounts, gearbox and stuff to make it work easily.

Sure will not have a whining turbo and 400 plus hp but it will still make you smile. I have 256 at the fly in the GT and still do respectable times.

Then if after a year you still want to sell then at least you have a running car that will always make more money.

It also gives you drive time and breathing time to make a clear headed decision

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Hi Coops, Sorry if anything I said upset you. As you know my posts are sometimes very direct but no offence was meant. Think numbers are sometimes like a drug, you see 300 and then you want 350, get to 350 and then you want 400 and while achievable on standard assembly its not going to take long before cracks start to appear. I think that's what many here have been saying so get the foundations right and build on it from there and it will serve you well in the future.

Lets hope you liner issue is something easy to sort and that you can update the pistons and rods and be back up and running very soon.

Again apologies if it was my comments that offended you. PM me or give me a call to discuss

regards Reg

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

Coops - what I mean by discredit is - you are better than that. You will be back. If I said your cappa will never roll again you know that would be untrue:-)

All I am saying mate - as you well know - is its all in the game:-) you apologised, when you didn't really do anything wrong, and that showed you are a gent.

The cappa is a great car - and one I have and do admire - I think this is all a blessing in disguise mate:-)

You have shown yourself to be a gent - but don't worry about snide comments, if my posts have offended the. I truly am sorry. But we are blokes with a common passion and ALL mates! And sometimes that means saying "for Christ sake" etc:-) and giving each other a good talking too. But I gaurantee no matter anybodies opinions on any engine, we were all sad when we saw your damage.

Anyway - lighter note!! Basic forged setup once the block is sorted is the way to go! Jason at Lutterworth will offset grind for 390 quid. That IS the best option!! Chin up mate! I know you have had unfortunate stress recently, and it has t helped also.
Spent so much on trial and error!

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

Ignore the keyboard warriors !
This forum is a fountain of knowledge for the rover v8,
Hindsight is a good tool to have,we've all made mistakes,I've melted a standard piston on my old 3.5 blown engine,you just have to carry on,
For the record I drove for 3 hours to Pod last Friday(Dragstagia) run a personal best of 12.03@117,on street tyres with no burnout,then drove another 3 hours home !
Not a very fast time,but it keeps me happy on the street where I enjoy the car
If I was nearer to you,I'd gladly help

Spongo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Spongo »

Coops I have the mother of all set ups, a P38 Range Rover with all of its suspension and electrical issues couple that to a Small Block Chevy engine running a Megasquirt ECU whilst maintaining the non standard ECU to keep the rest of the car happy is a nightmare.

Add that to having to replace the bespoke manifolds and exhaust trying to get it to run on LPG properly so I can afford to use it, the list goes on.

I also know I am in for an engine rebuild soon as the heads are going to need work to sort some stripped threads and there are some lifters that are getting noisy so a new cam will all probably be needed and I want to go to fully sequential fuel and spark....

There have been some times I just wanted to give up as some of my posts have stead in the past, truth is I just leave it alone in the garage and after a while the interest is rekindled and off I go again.

Ignore the muppets who dis you they are just jealous that they can't do what we do, which is tinker have fun and tinker some more then break it and tinker again, its all part of the fun honest.

Keep smiling

Pat
Range Rover 630R or otherwise known as the Money Pit
MS2 with switch MAPS for LPG
Techedge Wideband Sensor

Boosted LS1
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Boosted LS1 »

Coops,

I've just seen this thread.

You don't need to spend huge amounts of money on a bottom end if you keep the revs sensible. Big power (forced induction) can be had from any low compression build if it's got forged pistons and a decent ring pack. The stock 4.0/4.6 crank is perfectly up to the job as is the block. Invest in the pistons, go from there.

If anything the rods have an easier life when there's boost in the engine.

Mike.

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

Tony,

Been away at the races all weekend so missed this recent news. You know you have support from a lot of people and what you have done with this forum is build a great community of people and a resource that I reckon everyone has been grateful too on at least one occasion.
The abuse you have been suffering is totally uncalled for and it's easy to knock someone else's efforts from the security of a keyboard. Doing it on the track is a different issue entirely.
I enjoy our racing primarily because it is different, we do things our own way, we have no-one to call on for a specific problem and we do sometimes make expensive mistakes. Then we go back to the drawing board and start again, build a new plan, start slowly and work methodically back and beyond your previous performance level.
The vast majority of people who knock others on the internet have no idea what it takes to get one of our type of cars running good at performance levels they can only dream of.

Don't give them the satisfaction of you giving up, persevere and show them how it's done. I hope the cost won't be too severe but take what time you need and when you are ready create a new plan and put that lovely Capri where it belongs, on the street and on the track strutting it's stuff in style.

Good luck and best wishes in whatever you do mate

Alan

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

See what I mean Coops!! The guys and I are right behind you Dude.

OK!! Thats the willy stroking over now :) We love you.. Now close the door on the Cappa and get your family affairs sorted first.

Then come back when you are ready to get the Cappa back on line ;)

Pel xx

PS
I'm thinking of emigrating to Oklahoma and becoming a Street Outlaw :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Right,
back on this again now,

Have the option of going 96mm forged pistons, chevy 6" rods and offset grind the crank, gives 5.0 ltrs think this is the same set up Del is using now in his TVR???

Pel you said about not offset grinding the crank on FB whys is that mate???

Also tried to find a set of 94mm pistons for mine but none so far found off the shelf, did contact one company wish I could remember who it was now :( but they came out more expensive then having the custom 96mm ones made in the USA.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Tony, I asked Omega (IIRC) years ago about doing a set of 94 or 94,5 mm pistons for 4,6. I believed the quoted silly number with a minimum batch of 10 or 12 pistons. Thanks but no thanks.

About the critics, I was stopping at a local petrol station for some fuel with my Minor when a guy shows up and started asking questions. That soon changed to ranting about panel gaps, second rate paint job, silicon spots in paint etc. He then continued by bragging how he´s had Porsche this and Porsche that restored blah blah blah. So, I wished him all the best, climbed in the car and started the engine. Well he came running back and asked what engine have you got. I told him it´s just an engine but still the crappy paint job :-) He tried to be a bit more civilized by saying that now he understand the outside appearance... Kind of a too late.

Return to “Engines Area”