RV8 - Installation of Kenne Bell Rollers - Questions

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

DaviesDJ wrote:Ok guys, now winging its way to me are a set of NASCAR Carrillo used 6 inch rods for my new build! :-) going to grind my 4.6 crank down and offset to 89mm at the 1.85 inch diameter as required! Have been discussing options with mike(kiwicar) who has been great with advice. BUT was wandering what piston options to go for??? Wrist pin is 0.86, and I can have a comp height of much above 1.2-1.22 inch. Think the ford modular 3.7 inch big bore flat top/shallow dish is my best bet but was wondering if anything else is about??? Perhaps a bit bigger then 94mm??? Cos use a Chevy but don't like be idea of drilling out the small end/ wrist pin hole to .927 or whatever - seems a big jump taking away a lot of metal. Any thoughts??? Ohhh by the way, rods and bearings 144 dollars.
I got my engine shop to fit bronze bushes into my chevy rods to take the Rover wrist pins. they drilled an oil hole in the top of the rod and through the bushes as well.

This way if I decide to change for a chevy piston I just have to get the bushes popped out :)

I'm sure my comp height on the Omega's is small like the 1.22" you mentioned.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

Yes, that's a versatile way of doing it. I think I will fit / have fitted bushes into the pistons, has anybody done that I wonder?
Spent so much on trial and error!

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

Temperature gradients in the pistons are too great, I would certainly not go that way, bush the little end of the rod, we even made our own offset bushes to get zero deck when we ran Volvo pistons, no issues whatsoever. Just can't see anyway a bush in a piston will work.

Alan

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Bushing the pistons doesnt seem a good way ??

As Alan says, I think the variance of expansion rates between the ally piston and a bronze bush could lead to other problems.

I thought the idea was to meet the larger size of the chevy wrist pin holes on the rods? To bush the pistons to match would mean taking ally out, so why fit bushes into the pistons to achieve this?

I had my rod bushes made fully floating and the Omega's have circlips so I can take the pistons off myself.

Best thing is to decide on what pistons you will end up using, then tweak the rods to suit. The beauty of bushing the rods to suit off the shelf pistons with smaller wrist pins is that its all reversible :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

The rods i have purchased are now fixed and they have a very small small end at 0.833 inches, so the nearest piston i can realistically get is a o.866 inch ford modular whic will mean openning out the small end about 1mm. I have chatted to a few people and this seems dooable
But in an ideal world would like pistons to fit:-)
Spent so much on trial and error!

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

If the rods are bushed, which is likely they will be at least 60 thou wall thickness, boring out by 1mm which is 40 thou or thereabouts shouldn't be a problem, only takes away bushing material and can't therefore weaken the rod.

Alan

Return to “Engines Area”