Engine Builder Mystery...

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

rollinclones

Engine Builder Mystery...

Post by rollinclones »

Hello!

I've just joined the forum as I'm about to drop my 4.6 RV8 lump into my TR7. Both have been sat idle for around five years and enough is enough!!

I bought the engine second-hand, and at that point it had covered very little mileage and looks almost brand new externally. It had been in a competition off-roader and was being replaced by a diesel lump due to the electric's aversion to water!

I was given a load of information with it, which I have managed to lose, and now I'm trying to find out who the engine builder was in an attempt to find out what the spec of it is.

Looking at the front of the block, directly under the head and block mating face is stamped a number which looks like either H14932 or HP4932.

Does anyone know who the builder might be from this?

Many thanks in advance!!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

That might be from the factory rather than an engine builder.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

rollinclones

Post by rollinclones »

Thanks for the reply.

That would be very annoying!

I do know that's where John Eales bungs his, which makes me think he would have chosen a different location if factory plonked theirs there too!

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

Is the block spry painted silver?? If the rear oil seal spring has been deliberately cut and shortened to tighten it that can be a clue
Spent so much on trial and error!

rollinclones

Post by rollinclones »

The block does look like it was spray painted silver, yes.

I'm going to replace the rear oil seal, as a matter of course, tomorrow so will have a look!

Thank you!

maximotorsport
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by maximotorsport »

Who did you buy it from?

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I seem to remember that John Eales stamps his numbers on the front of the block under the timing cover ?

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I believe john eales numbers have a JE at the front of them. I can't recall seeing a block with his stamp but my heads are stamped JExxxx

Those numbers look raised so they are in the casting/factory and not teeped/stamped from a tuner
Last edited by katanaman on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rollinclones

Post by rollinclones »

To quote 'The Eales', as I have now dubbed him...

"If it is one of mine, it will have a number stamped at the front of the cyl. block on the left side just below the head face. Alternatively the number will be by the dipstick tube where it goes into the block."

Also, when I spoke to the lady in his office, she told me that all his numbers begin with the capacity, then year, then another number which I can't remember the significance of. :/

My numbers are definitely stamped, not raised. That's an optical illusion in the picture.

rollinclones

Post by rollinclones »

I didn't manage to get the oil seal out today, as I'm a plonker and realised that the engine is still on the stand so the back is inaccessible!! Doughnut.
DaviesDJ wrote:Is the block spry painted silver?? If the rear oil seal spring has been deliberately cut and shortened to tighten it that can be a clue
Who might the silver block spraying engine builder be?

Many thanks!

Return to “Engines Area”