more power on 3.9

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DEFEKT

more power on 3.9

Post by DEFEKT »

Hello

Please help on several issues, i completely rebuild my engine and try to make more hp.
until now i change camshaft and dyno test showed only 150hp, next i install new ecu DTA fast s60 and give 190hp

Today i disassemby engine and saw some interesting facts. Engine have number CR 8.13.1 38D19824A, head ETC8622 (14bolts), pistons Hepolite low cr.
If I understand correctly this engine has only 8.13:1 CR?
What components i need to make better CR? only new pistons?

Michal
Last edited by DEFEKT on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

These or something like these would do you http://www.v8tuner.co.uk/product.php?id=49 after that you would need to start skimming the head and or block depending on what your goals are. Oh and if you aren't already use tin gaskets instead of composite ones as they give higher compression.

DEFEKT

Post by DEFEKT »

thanks for fast reply.

I think about this set http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RB7485__020HC is it a good company?

Im looking for head porting (its next objective) and and cover all bearing MOS2 monolayer
I already have a better exhaust manifolds.
And I have an idea to buy 4.0 4.6 intake manifold

You know how much hp is possible with this engine?

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
realistically on fuel injection with the CR around 9.75 to 10:1 sensibly ported heads, a cam like the real steel turbo cam, good exhaust manifolds and an aftermarket ECU you should see 208 to 212bhp, get all the assembly spot on and have mapped trigger wheel ignition you may get 220bhp but you will have to spend time on all the details chamfer all the oil ways and the ports on the oil pump. Get good main bearings and select them for position, match the chambers, set the valve seats so they are all the same and not recessed in the heads it is the fine detail.
The later inlet manifolds are designed to promote low and mid-range power they will not help top end power numbers.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

DEFEKT

Post by DEFEKT »

hmm but now in cr 8.13 i have 190hp

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Yes that would be about right, bring the CR up to about 9.5 10:1 that should raise peak torque by about 6% to 8% and peak power by a bit less so that will see peak power around 200BHP which is about target for the mods you have already. Allow a reading variation of +/- 15% for the chassis Dyno and you are seeing the numbers I would expect.
Best regardss
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Baracus
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Baracus »

For reference i'm running a 3.9 with 10:1 compression, crower 50233 cam, dual valve springs, Ported heads (standard valves), ported inlet manifold, 72mm plenum and megasquirt.

This lot made 206bhp at the wheels which is in the order of 240bhp flywheel

DEFEKT

Post by DEFEKT »

Hello

Today I received a package with pistons but its wrong pistons from 4.0 cr 9.35
Now I have no idea because I need wait for new package 3 weeks.
I can replace con rods at 4.0 but they work on 3.9 crankshaft, its P&P?

I'm little confused because someone made ​​a mistake and sent the wrong pistons...

Baracus wrote:For reference i'm running a 3.9 with 10:1 compression, crower 50233 cam, dual valve springs, Ported heads (standard valves), ported inlet manifold, 72mm plenum and megasquirt.

This lot made 206bhp at the wheels which is in the order of 240bhp flywheel
I have Kent Cams H218

DEFEKT

Post by DEFEKT »

hello again

Finally i have everything ready, head porting etc.
But firt time im assembly this engine and i have a small question.
My camshaft have axial clearence (in bearing) its about 0.06 to 0.08mm. This value its correct?
In overhaul manual i see only two value maximum run-out and end-float(does not apply to my engine) nothing says about axial.
My workshop where im machining engine says its correct value... but i prefer to ask you.

Michal

Return to “Engines Area”