Enigne conversion help

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Chicken Drumstick

Enigne conversion help

Post by Chicken Drumstick »

Hi. Recently the 3.5 in my TR7 expired. It's looking like an oil pump of some kind. Anyhow I've bought a 3.9 off eBay to replace it.

Started stripping it down and I hadn't noticed until now that the 3.9 is a serpentine not a Vee belt.

I don't need the PAS pump or air con compressor. Is it possible to retain the serpentine belt and get rid of these or replace them with idle years of some kind?

I also have an offy manifold I want to retain. On the 3.5 it had a water pipe out of the back of the water pump. The 3.9 doesn't have this. Any ideas what I need to do in order to use this manifold with the 3.9.

Last up. The 3.9 came with an autobox and torque converter. Should I ha e any issues swapping on the flywheel from the 3.5? It needs to mate to an Lt77.

Same with the sump pan. Can I swap them over? The 3.9 one is longer and looks to foul the TR subframe.

Thanks.

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

You can retain the serp set up without the pas and air con pumps. JE sells an alternator bracket to replace the Land Rover one. It's much smaller.

Change the thermostat cover on your inlet manifold for one without the bypass and you won't have to worry about the lack of an outlet on your serp timing cover.

Chicken Drumstick

Post by Chicken Drumstick »

Thanks.

You don't have any links to any of these bits do you? Ta.

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Bottom of this page for the alternator bracket.

http://www.johnealesroverv8.co.uk/9.html

Look out for a Rover SD1 thermostat cover they didn't have the bypass pipe.

Return to “Engines Area”