Rover Oil Pump

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Draughtsman

Rover Oil Pump

Post by Draughtsman »

Hi All,
In the process of assembling my engine, I am using a cross bolted block & a P6 front cover. I have the uprated oil pump & using a Mocal pump head/cover to feed a remote filter.
Problem is when I tried to fit the front cover, the oil pressure releif valve part hits the crossbolt not allowing the cover to go on, & also there appears to be a dowel in the front cover that should have a hole for the dowel on the front of the block.
Do I need to junk the expensive Mocal plate & use an original style pump head & buy an expensive sandwhich type plate?
Is there an easy way to remove the dowel in the cover as its more or less flush!
Sorry for the rambling.

Cheers, Lee.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Lee
All I did was ground a chunk off the cross bolt. I have the same setup on my MGB.

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

davemgb
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by davemgb »

Similar approach to Perry,

I was able to borrow a cutter and face off the crossbolt boss by 5mm so that once the bolt was also shortened I did not need to grind it's head.

Dave

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

Draughtsman wrote,...
the oil pressure releif valve part hits the crossbolt
Maybe I am missing something here, but the oil pressure relief valve in the oil pump front cover which is attached to the timing cover, and the cross bolts are along the side of the engine, so how is contact being made?

I don't see any contact or bolts ground down on my 4.6 with the oil pressure relief valve. (I have an SD1 timing cover and P6 oil pump front cover).

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

davemgb
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by davemgb »

Ron,

That will be because you have the SD1 type cover while Lee has the MG type replacement oil pump cover.

Ebay item - MG base

The MG version fits with the oil pressure relief cover to the rear just where the crossbolt boss sticks out.

Not my image but you can see the un-drilled cross bolt boss, when the bolt is present the extra 8 to 10 mm that the head projects causes the clearance problem.

Dave

Draughtsman

Post by Draughtsman »

Hi guys,
Dave, thats it, but as its a brand new engine bought from a supplier, I dont really fancy modifying any part of the block or the crossbolt head or the actual bolt thats there as its a fully crossbolted engine.
The cover I have is a little different to the one in that ebay ad, mines the Mocal one with the remote hose outlets at the bottom looking at the front of the engine. I will take a pic as its much easier to explain. Lol!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Draughtsman wrote:Hi guys,
Dave, thats it, but as its a brand new engine bought from a supplier, I dont really fancy modifying any part of the block or the crossbolt head or the actual bolt thats there as its a fully crossbolted engine.
The cover I have is a little different to the one in that ebay ad, mines the Mocal one with the remote hose outlets at the bottom looking at the front of the engine. I will take a pic as its much easier to explain. Lol!
I'm in Bucks... Buckingham to be precise. Feel free to come and look at my engine if you want. Its in bits in the garage so you can see what I have done to overcome this issue.

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

davemgb
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by davemgb »

Draughtsman wrote:The cover I have is a little different to the one in that ebay ad, mines the Mocal one with the remote hose outlets at the bottom looking at the front of the engine. I will take a pic as its much easier to explain. Lol!
A picture is worth 1,000 words.....

you've obviously got the other Mocal variant ( type E in the catalogue )

Still the same problem with the relief valve orientation..

Get a piece of 5 to 8 mm thick alloy and make a spacer, you need holes for the six bolt holes, the inlet and outlet passages and the vent to the relief valve.

Dave

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

davemgb wrote,...
Ron,

That will be because you have the SD1 type cover while Lee has the MG type replacement oil pump cover.

Ebay item - MG base

The MG version fits with the oil pressure relief cover to the rear just where the crossbolt boss sticks out.

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for that. :)

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I too had the same problem, so I countersunk the bolt into the block, in exactly the same way that there is a countersunk bolt next to the starter for the same reason.

But you don't want to modify the block.... Can you return it to who you bought it from to be modified?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Draughtsman

Post by Draughtsman »

Dave, your spot on, thats the cover I have.
Trouble is I dont really want to unbolt the crossbolt as the engine is almost together & it was supplied as a short block with heads seperate.
I have already fitted the uprated oil pump with the spacer plate under the mocal head plate.
So I can only think to change it for a sandwhich plate.
On the other problem, how do i remove the 'dowel' that is stuck flush in the timing cover? as it stops the cover going onto the engine as there is a dowel there?

Cheers, for all the help so far chaps & Perry, thanks for the offer, may well take you up on it.
Sorry for the silly questions, but first time ever building an engine!
Cheers, Lee.

A picture is worth 1,000 words.....

you've obviously got the other Mocal variant ( type E in the catalogue )

Still the same problem with the relief valve orientation..

Get a piece of 5 to 8 mm thick alloy and make a spacer, you need holes for the six bolt holes, the inlet and outlet passages and the vent to the relief valve.

Dave[/quote]

davemgb
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by davemgb »

Draughtsman wrote:On the other problem, how do i remove the 'dowel' that is stuck flush in the timing cover? as it stops the cover going onto the engine as there is a dowel there?
I can recall four dowels in the timing cover although technically only two are in the cover these being the water pump location dowels. The other two are normally in the block to locate the cover on the block and I think they are in open ended holes in the cover, one at the top on the oil pump side and the other low down on the other side.

Dave

Draughtsman

Post by Draughtsman »

Bugger, right time for a real newbie question, tried to upload pics but cant figure out how to do it on this forum, I dont have an online photo account.
Can I email them to anyonr who can upload?
Cheers, Lee.[/url]

davemgb
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by davemgb »

Draughtsman wrote:Bugger, right time for a real newbie question, tried to upload pics but cant figure out how to do it on this forum, I dont have an online photo account.
Can I email them to anyonr who can upload?
Cheers, Lee.
Lee,

Try an online service like flickr or photobucket or picasa

Then you can link to the image via the Img tag.

You could also try linking to an existing image, for a parts diagram Rimmers could be very useful.

Dave

Draughtsman

Post by Draughtsman »

Hope these pics comes out.....!

Well, hopefully that should all be clear to show my plight!!
I dont really want to remove the cross bolt, so I guess I need to change to Mocal pump head for something else.

Cheers, Lee.

Return to “Engines Area”