cam timing

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

barginbucket
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

cam timing

Post by barginbucket »

hi folks,just a quickie,installed a kent 224 in my 4,0 litre sd1,timed it as stock,just wondering if this is best set up for this cam, thankyou

nothing new there then

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

There would have been a data sheet that came with the cam, this sheet has the proper timing in it. Sock timing will be safe but probably not the best it can be. That said unless your willing to invest in some tools/vernier sprocket and a bit of time your probably best leaving it as is. There will be some power to be gained but it wont be much specially if the rest of the engine isnt optimised for it

barginbucket
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by barginbucket »

thanks for that advice katanaman,i've had the cam for years,no spec sheet,engine spec:standard 4.0lt short motor,224 cam[with vernier adj/sprocket]set preload with adj/pushrods,bvh[41.5/35.5] webber 500 and mallory unilite dist/leads,not really sure what performance to expect,does not seem much different to the 3.5 i took out,hence the cam/ign timing issue,thought i might be strangleing it somehow,maybe a cam change would be better for the spec,anyone used :

crower comp u pro cam v8 performer 1

sounds good[they all do] on v8Tuners site
thanks again,all advice appreciated,youve got to keep the gasguzlers going :D
nothing new there then

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

have you set the carb up properly? there is big gains to be made here or big losses rather if it isnt right.

barginbucket
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by barginbucket »

good point,have not touch carb,just assumed if jets not big enough,engine would cough/splutter,have not seen what size they are,will see if i can get some somewere,thankyou
nothing new there then

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

same could also be true if the jets are too large which is more likely

Return to “Engines Area”