no oil pressure

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jrv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by jrv8 »

[quote here is a daft idea ive used a 4.6 timing cover gasket and there was one place where the gasket was straight and it looked like it should of circled something.[/quote]

The 4.6 timing cover gaskets are different than the standard SD1 type, and the difference is in the oil pump area.

You may be blocking off an oilport with the 4.6 gasket.
Jim

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

you know i had that suspicion ill order a proper one and try it

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

thev8kid wrote:is the cover gasket blocking/part blocking the oil feed hole from cover to block???
didn't i say that earlier :lol: :lol:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

changed the 4.6 gasket for an sd1 item and it still made no difference at all, im really starting to lose my patience now as ive run out of ideas

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Do you have both gears in the pump ? Are all tolerences with the pump correct ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

yes both gears are in the pump this worked fine on the last engine all i did was swap the 4l for a 3.5 using the same timing cover

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

As others say, is the relief spring working, and fully home ??

Have you tried spinning the pump, with the relief plunger removed...oil should fly out of it.

Dont think it would help posting pics up.....Not really sure if there is anything external, we could see to suggest posssible causes.

But if the oil pickup pipe is submersed in oil, and the pipe 100% sound leading to the pump, then its really straightforward. The pump should lift oil.

Its maybe a longshot, but if you have something like a vacuum pump ( I have one used to remove fluids )
On some cars I forgot to prime ( non RV8 ) or had trouble priming. I attached this vacuum pump to an oil gallery, and forced vacuum, whilst turning the pump. It was usually enugh to get oil into the pump, and the system working again.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

Have you tried spinning the pump, with the relief plunger removed...oil should fly out of it.
ill try this tommorow, all ive been looking for is oil coming from the gaps on the rocker gear, when i primed the 4l engine with a drill it took seconds to prime, i ll try a different set off gears as well

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Id try looking for oil closer to the source, rather than relying on the rocker gear...

Do you have a pressure guage installed at all ??
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

When you say you've packed it with vaseline how much have you used?

Everytime o've done it i've crammed it to point of bursting so theres absolutely no air at all then used a high speed drill and immediately given the pump everything the drill could give, creates more of a sucking action to help draw the oil up.

Ref the relief plunger i'd take that apart and meticuosly reassemble it.

Is the oil pump base new or old? All original parts?

What have you done to the engine? New bearings etc?
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

davemgb
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by davemgb »

toughy V8 wrote: i also thought the sump looked dented a little so i cut cut three chunks out of the sides of the gauze carrier part of the pick up pipe, im also thinking maybe its sucking air somewhere
I don't think this is the cause of your priming problem unless you have damaged the pipe to top flange connection, but when you do get it going you will probably get oil surge problems because of the cut back skirt on the pickup. If you remove the sump again change to a full depth unit, you only need a 3 or 4 mm gap and bashing the sump is the best way to increase it.

Only thing no one has suggested yet for the priming problem - is the pump gear firmly on the bottom of the drive shaft. I've never seen it in a rover but A series engines have suffered from the pump shaft slipping in the rotor - manufacturing issues at various times.

Dave

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

davemgb wrote:- is the pump gear firmly on the bottom of the drive shaft. I've never seen it in a rover but A series engines have suffered from the pump shaft slipping in the rotor - manufacturing issues at various times.

Dave
Dave, you prime the RV8 manually, using a drill and a tool, engage on the pump shaft. Relying on cranking speed and drive via the dizzy could take forever.

So ensuring pump rotation, is easy, and obvious.

Which is why it can make it even more baffling as to why there is a problem. You simply know the pump is operting mechanically.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

My understanding of the pump is it draws from the sump through a gallery.

The oil goes through the pump gears into a void
At one side of the void is a pressure relief valve
At the other is the filter then through more galleries to the important parts

Perhaps the pump is working but there is a blockage in the filter (how much vaseline is in there now?)

The pressure relief is wrking and dumping the ooil back into the sump

Try spin the pump without the filter on

Could be real messy!

I hope so and a new filter will solve the prolem

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

I always thought there was a bypass in the filter so if became blocked it just churned the oil round without filtering it? have u tried turning the engine over by hand and watching the pump gears to see if they actually turn? could it possibly be thier binding somewhere?
So thats where it went !

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Still trying to think outside the box with this one, are you running a remote filter?? if so, you could have plumbed it the wrong way around, not normally a problem, but if the filter has a non return valve, you may be pumping against the non return, which will stop the oil flowing round the engine
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Return to “Engines Area”