Rover V8 oil leak at head gasket after rebuild

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Mickp

Rover V8 oil leak at head gasket after rebuild

Post by Mickp »

Has anyone else had this problem?

Done a full rebuild on the engine,fitted composite head gaskets,pumped oil round the engine by driving up the oil pump,fitted the engine and next day oil appeared at the head joint on both heads.
Took the heads back off and found oil covering both sides of the gasket on both heads.
Measured the thickness of the gasket at the metal sealing rings for the cylinders and found it greater than the composite gasket material even after it had been compressed.

It would seem then that the head can not compress the composite part of the gasket enough to seal the oil passage from the block to the head.
Ive measured the bolt depths,dowel pin clearance even compression tested it before I took it apart,alls fine.
The engine was fine before the rebuild so it all points to the gaskets.

Been in touch with the supplier,very helpful and has agreed to send new gaskets (Elring brand this time) but can not explain why they failed as they sell loads with no problems,apparently.

Have I missed some thing? Am I alone with this issue?

I do know that I will be putting some sealant around the oil feed hole this time.

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

My first query would be, head bolt torque values? Check the torque wrench.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Did you clean out the block holes before assembly, was there oil in these? has the heads and block been possibly over skimmed and the bolts bottoming out before compression of the gasket starts ?
So thats where it went !

Mickp

Post by Mickp »

JSF55 wrote:Did you clean out the block holes before assembly, was there oil in these? has the heads and block been possibly over skimmed and the bolts bottoming out before compression of the gasket starts ?
Block was hot chemically cleaned,no skimming needed,all bolts screw further in to the block than required.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Should there not be sealing rings round the oil feeds on those gaskets ?
So thats where it went !

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

I just got to say they are some moody looking head gaskets you got there :?
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

Mickp

Post by Mickp »

JSF55 wrote:Should there not be sealing rings round the oil feeds on those gaskets ?
You would of thought so,even the tin gaskets have a raised area around the feed hole.

Mickp

Post by Mickp »

SimpleSimon wrote:I just got to say they are some moody looking head gaskets you got there :?
Well moody,but apparently the supplier has had no issues with them.
These were not even the cheap ones so god knows what there like!!

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

When I use a composite gasket on an RV8, I never tighten the 4 outer bolts but just nip them up. Over tightening these 4 bolts can tilt the heads and take pressure off the oil feed area.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Even with tin gaskets never had a problem with oil leaks there even when the outer row of bolts was the norm. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I've had this problem as well so I put a smudge of sealant around the oil and water gallery holes.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

DaveEFI wrote:Even with tin gaskets never had a problem with oil leaks there even when the outer row of bolts was the norm. :D
I would say that a tin gasket is less likely to squash unevenly and therefore less likely to cause the head to tilt towards the outer row of bolts.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

The tin gaskets did have the compressible corrugations around the oil holes. The composite gaskets I had didn't have anything.....

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

An old codger that probably served as mechanic on Noah's Ark told me to paint the gasket on both sides with Indian Head Shellac before fitting it.
Cheers,
John

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

ChrisJC wrote:The tin gaskets did have the compressible corrugations around the oil holes. The composite gaskets I had didn't have anything.....

Chris.
The Elring gaskets do

Then again the entire gasket is far better quality - you get what you pay for ( sometimes)

4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

Return to “Engines Area”