Have I done much damage?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Misterb_57

Have I done much damage?

Post by Misterb_57 »

Discovered a major error in my rebuild over the weekend😞 and concerned over what level of damage I may have done?

Stupidly did not check the connections from the oil pump remote take off and connected them the wrong way round.
Obviously with a one valve in the filter oil was not flowing correctly around the engine but was giving me good pressure at the gauge (which made think all was OK).

Having discovered my error and swapped the pipes over, my engine (3.5 s) sounds much better now the lifters are pumped up. I've drained the oil and changed the filter - and strained the oil to check for debris, with little sign of metal particles in either.

The car is not on the road yet so has has only been driven in & out of the garage etc.

Am I likely to have done much damage?

Chris.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I did the same. It depends on how long you ran it for!

After about 5 minutes I could hear some squeaks starting, and after a minute or two more I shut it off.

It needed the crankshaft regrinding!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Surely there would have been some oil going round from the pressure relief/regulating valve in the pump as it dumps straight into the oil gallery?
I doubt it will have done it any good but I think there is a fair chance the bottom end will have survived. I doubt it has done the cam or tappet bedding in process any favours though.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

On the arrangement I ran at the time, then there was absolutely no oil circulating in the engine, but the pressure light went out. All the oil was being dumped straight back into the sump from the pressure relief valve.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Misterb_57

Post by Misterb_57 »

Hi Chris & Mike.

Not had the death squeak (remember that from years ago) and hoping that some oil was getting around via the pressure relief valve. Top end wasn't getting a lot hence noisy tappets but cam was already bedded in as not new rebuild and hence not tight.

Chris - I'm guessing that there was a fair amount of metal in your oil/filter with that level of damage?

Seems to be running ok now but will check oil again tomorrow.

Chris.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I did the same many years ago.

Mind you...as I still had oil pressure on the gauge, and the noises really werent that loud ( hard to believe I know ), I drove it till it stopped LOL

Although in my case I just fitted a new/replacement remote oil filter housing. And it seems despite looking the same, some have flow directions reversed.

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I can't remember if there was much debris in the oil filter.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Engines Area”