General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

dbv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dbv8 »

Update.
A decision has been made.
The pistons will be pulled and sent to Chesmans on Friday. They have promised to return them with reliefs and matched weight within a week.

10.612 @ 129.77
176.5 standing mile.

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

You could of borrowed these,and done it insitu !

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

I made a set of piston cutters out of an old set of valves, I had to increase the diameter of the inlet valve so that the slot that cut had clearance for the actual inlet valves. It was bloody scary to attack the pistons with the cutters but the results were very good. I'd imagine that with a proper set of cutters it would not take too long to do a set of pistons. Careful setup is required to ensure that you only cut as much off the pistons as desired but this should not be too hard as the cutters in the picture have depth stoppers.

Muscle Manta and I also balanced a set of pistons using a homemade beam balance, we removed a chamfer of metal from the inside of the gudeon pins on the heavy pistons using my lathe. Later the pistons were actually checked by a Professional balancer. From memory they were all within 0.5g. (it could have even been 0.2g, I can't quite remember)

dbv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dbv8 »

another update.

I chatted to David Knight (who has just refurbed my cylinder heads) and he will now be receiving the pistons to cut the reliefs. He offered a special price that i had to accept.
10.612 @ 129.77
176.5 standing mile.

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

dbv8 wrote:another update.

I chatted to David Knight (who has just refurbed my cylinder heads) and he will now be receiving the pistons to cut the reliefs. He offered a special price that i had to accept.
Your lucky,when I spoke to him before Xmas he was to busy !

dbv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dbv8 »

Its a long story so i wont bore you with it.
The Pistons went to Chesmans in the end.

I sleaned them up and 'softened' the sharp edges.

They are now bach in the block and the heads are torqued down.

To time the Tornado cam in next. I guess i am ok to use the JP timing set that was there previously or should i really buy a new chain at least?
10.612 @ 129.77
176.5 standing mile.

Return to “Engines Area”