no spark

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

no spark

Post by toughy V8 »

ive just fitted a rangerover flapper system to my bmw but now i dont have any spark when cranking over but i do when i stop cranking? any ideas

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Possible ballast resistor blown or wire pulled off the starter or coil,
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

can someone show me a pic of there ballast resistor and where it goes so i know what to look for because i dont have anything like that on my loom

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

it will either be a ceramic looking thing attached to the coil or it will just simply be a wire in the loom. I don't think it will be a blown resistor as you have a spark when you aren't cranking. It could very well be you don't have a feed from the switched side of the starter to the coil though. Are you using a 9v coil? If not then you shouldn't have a resistor in there anyway and you can bridge the + on the coil direct to a known good ign 12v supply. If you are on a 9v coil then simply connect a wire direct from switched side of starter (the cable going into the motor itself) to the + on the coil.

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

i now have a spark but i had to disconnect the two white and red wires that go to the crank side of the ignition, do these have to be fitted? only one of the wires are stopping the spark

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

I would say that this is caused by a broken wire or something from the starter as marki says (or a lack of a wire). Don't understand your last post, but the then i've had a few????

If you have a ballast resistor and a 9V coil, you should have 2 wires to your coil +ve. One should be from the ignition circult via the ballast resistor, the other directly from the starter. I think the theory is so that the 9V coil has a 12+V kick start when you first turn over to help it start from cold

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

There shouldn't be a ballast resistor on the ignition system from a Range Rover EFi.

The ignition system is separate from the injection system; they are only linked by a feed from the coil to the ECU to tell the ECU when the engine is rotating.

The wiring is dead simple - there should be a white feed wire from IGN+ to the coil and ignition amp. Then there should be a white/black wire from the amp back to the coil and also to the ECU and tacho.

The white/red wire is the crank signal from the ignition switch to the starter and to the ECU.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”