3.9 hotwire wiring

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

vdub boy 1

3.9 hotwire wiring

Post by vdub boy 1 »

Hi all , new to this forum, I'm in the process of fitting a 3.9 rv8 hotwire into my dax rush kit car and was hoping if anybody can help with identifying some wires in the engine loom. I've got some answers from looking at previous posts , but being new to the world of efi (I was a running a 3.5 on strombergs) any help would be great.

On the main connector of the engine loom I have 3 wires I'm not sure what to do with , a yellow (speed transducer I think), orange/black (neutral switch) and a purple/yellow ( heated front screen according to mr haynes) can I disregard these as my car does'nt have them or do they have to be wired in somewhere. Its a 1990 discovery model (I was told) but the loom doesnt have any wires or signs of where wires have been for Lamba sensors I presume it needs them and can I retro fit them if need be.
I also have 2 black wires one thinner than the other the thinner one has a grey tracer on it both going to a ring connector, I take it these go to earth . Finally from the same convaluted tube them are two wires a grey/yellow and a white/purple which according to my wiring diagram go to a purge control valve where would this be fitted , presume I need it. Sorry for all the questions, but this seems the place to ask , thanks in advance

cheers

leigh

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

hi and welcome,
did you see this post with the wiring diagram????#

http://www.v-8.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Purge control Valve -I haven't got it connected to anything on the Dax ad it runs

Lambdas
If you are on a 1990 engine chances are there were no lambdas present but they can be retro fitted - also then need t change the tune resistor to tell the ECU to expect lambda readings

From memory the neutral switch is for the Auto version as when not in Neutral there is drag on the engine and the ECU needs to compensate - I seem to remember somthing like a 510 ohm resistor was needed to "fool" the system (Mine is now in a manual car)

Black wires not too sure unless one comes out of the loom that connects to the air flow meter (memory says it was dark and perhaps had a light stripe on it) and that goes to the coil (don't ask me which side as I'm doing this from memory from a year ago)

Cheers
Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

jwriyadh

Post by jwriyadh »

Yellow is speed transducer, you don't need it, isolate and tuck away.

Orange/black is neutral switch, for manual connect to earth via 480 ohm resistor.

Purple/yellow is heated front screen, isolate and tuck away.

Lambda sensors optional, if not fitted make sure the tune resistor(blue plug near the relays) is green(470 ohms), should definitely not be white(3900 oms). If you fit lambdas reverse above tune resistor info, terminals for ECU plug should be available from VWP.

Both the black wires need grounding on the rear of LHS cylinder head.

Grey/yellow and white/purple are purge valve, not required, isolate and tuck away.

jw

vdub boy 1

Post by vdub boy 1 »

Cheers for replies :D - really helpful. Hopeful it would be long before I can fire it up

Thanks

leigh

vdub boy 1

Post by vdub boy 1 »

Just a couple of more questions that I should have asked before , where does the efi warning pickup point wire go to, and where can i pick a suitable resistor to wire to the neutral switch to earth.

thanks

Leigh

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”