Distributerless ignition upgrade on 3.9 D1?

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

dieseldog69

Distributerless ignition upgrade on 3.9 D1?

Post by dieseldog69 »

Is it possible to retro-fit the dizzyless ignition system from the later series 2 disco to my 3.9D1?

I have seen a MEGAJOLT system on the LRX forum fitted to a 3.9 but this a modification and to be honest it looked to need a lot of tidying up to look pretty, I was impressed that it was capable of running a petrol engine under water though!!!

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showt ... entry57947

1998 Discovery 3.9 V8
cooking on gas baby
if you aint livin life on the edge yr taking up too much room

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

The Series 2 Disco runs with the Thor engine management system. It's bloody complicated, talks to various other ECU's (e.g. air-con, autobox, suspension, alarm etc etc). Not really a retrofit job.

MegaJolt should be just fine though.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Megajolt is what it is, because it is basically a DIY project, and the price reflects that.

If you wanted a neater system that does the same job, you will pay more for it.

But if you fit some sort of crank trigger etc, you can use many aftermarket systems, just depends what you want to pay.

You could buy a full standalone ecu that does fuel/ign, but just use it for ignition. Then upgrade to full control at a later date.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

dieseldog69

Post by dieseldog69 »

I have been gazing under the bonnet this afternoon after checking all the various fluids before the jaunt through the forest on the amazing network of tracks that we can drive, and guess what, Chris yr right abt the series 2s system is far too complicated for the retro fit, and after looking at the engine bay in a more positive manner I think that perhaps I could fit a megajolt system in there that would look like it was meant to be there, suppose I had better start the hunt on e-blag and hope it turns up trumps, if I do manage to get the parts together then I will post my installation on here to show everyone what I have done.
1998 Discovery 3.9 V8
cooking on gas baby

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I put MegaJolt on my 4.6 Landie.
Because I've used the later block, it meant I could use the flywheel mounted crank trigger from a GEMS engine, just re-indexed to get the missing tooth in about the right place:
Note the extra holes!

Coil packs behind the carbs (different for you):

I mounted the EDIS unit on the bulkhead and the MegaJolt Lite unit inside the cab.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

dieseldog69

Post by dieseldog69 »

I like this set uo and it looks neat too, just out of curiosity what parts did you need and roughly what cost was it?

Oh and most important of all, how much better than the distributer system have you found it to be? Economy, power, water etc,.
1998 Discovery 3.9 V8
cooking on gas baby

Quagmire
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Quagmire »

Megajolt vs Dizzy?

Difference is night and day. :)
1974 Rover 3500s
1984 3.5 90
1959 2.25 series 2

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Exact prices I can't remember, but I bought the MLJL from
http://www.autosportlabs.net/Main_Page
as a kit and assembled myself.
The EDIS-8 I got from
http://trigger-wheels.com/store/

Leads most probably from Rimmer Bros.

Performance wise, hard to say, but that engine was dyno'd at 250BHP.

Main motivation was to map the thing for LPG, and since the MLJL has twin maps, I configured it to automatically switch map when changing fuel, which I thought was a nice touch.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Quagmire
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Quagmire »

Just to say, you cannot buy in kit form any longer. The reason being that the processor used is now only available in surface mount form.

The guy who is behind MJ figured that this would be too difficult for the average DIYer to solder successfully and so now only the prebuilt version is available.

My motivation was that I wanted switchable maps for Petrol and LPG, at the time my dizzy was also not the best and MJ was actually cheaper back then than buying a refurb one.

I remember the first time I fired it up on EDIS alone the idle was totally rock solid, much better than previously.
:shock:
1974 Rover 3500s
1984 3.5 90
1959 2.25 series 2

dieseldog69

Post by dieseldog69 »

Been looking at the kit offered by EFI extra that has about everything I need to get it up and running, has anyone else bought this kit?

I dont want to seem like a cheat but I dont want to start fitting it only to find out half way through that I need more equiptment or parts, I am normally happy to do minor mods and general servicing and maintenance, but always considered electronics a little out of my league but it seems that this system if attacked methodically should be a simple fit well relatively!!
1998 Discovery 3.9 V8
cooking on gas baby

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”