Plug gaps

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Plug gaps

Post by ppyvabw »

I'm wondering if I have to big a plug gap which is causing my hi-rev open throttle flat spot/misfire. Wondering if it could be do do with increased dialectric strength and all that nonsense under high power conditions. I might try closing it up.

Mallory dual point, BP6ES's currently set to 35 tho.

Any thoughts?

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

I had a real problem with a hi rev misfire, and according to the info I had with my big power ign system, open the plug gaps was the thing to do, I ran this way for a little while, It took ages to work out what was wrong, but eventuall I returned the plugs back to .032" and the problem went away, I assumed it was somthing to do with the high comp I am running snuffing out the flame, and have since taken off the kin expensive Jacobs ign system and run a High output standard style coil, with the gaps at .032", no more Misfire, even at 7k

What revs are you going up to before the misfire happens,
If I can afford it this winter I will also dispose of the dissy and go coil pack, hopfully not having to use the serp front cover. just chop off the dissy at cover level, turn up a bung and close off the top of the dissy.
Then I may be able to try bigger gaps again.
Ian
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

Yeah, to put it technically, putting the fire out.

it happening at about 5000RPM and it is intermittent.

Was thinking it may be the alternator, but its not. Also condidered that it may be just the tappets bleeding down that i can feel but they are the hi-rev sd1 tappets so they should be good up to what, 6500rpm.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”