MSD Ignition with 14CUX

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

bieny

MSD Ignition with 14CUX

Post by bieny »

Hi eveyone,
I have just upgraded my engine from a 3.5 with a flapper to a 3.9 Hot wire.
Question is, is the 14CUX compatible with my MSD ignition? I have the 6AL with the MSD dizzy too.
I had to use a tach adaptor in the old flapper system from the tach output on the msd to the ecu, is it the same on the new ecu?
I think it should go to the white&black wire on pin 39, but will this affect the tune resistor? I guess i need to keep it in place?

Thanks Bieny

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

i have a mallory 685 ignition unit on my car,
and that was not compatible with hotwire system, we tried a tach adaptor and this did not help either,
in the end we had to use an ezi-trigger set-up from mallory, this cured the problem but we had to have two coils,

the new vems ecu works perfect wiothout any of the above adaptors
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

I have read that MSD works fine with the 14CUX, but we were also told so did the HYFIRE and then found out we could not start our cars when it was hot.

However I do feel that this may have been down to voltage drop across the main cable as I also suffer from the same problem now when my fans are running.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I think you will need the tach adapter to be honest.

bieny

Post by bieny »

ok ill try it with the tach adaptor, i remember from when i installed in the flapper it that i could not get it to work from the negative side of the coil but only from the tach output on the side of the unit.
i also ran the rev counter from there but not through the tach adapter if that makes sense.
Do you think it will affect the tune resistor in anyway? a technical explanation of just what the tune resistor does and how it works would be great
cheers for the quick response

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

it wont effect the tune resistor at all. The tune resistor basically just tells the ECU what map it should be running on.
Dont run anything of the neg side of the coil when running capacitive discharge ignition like the msd or highfire. These units put around 400 volts to the coil and not 12 like a normal system. If you connected your old ecu to the neg of the coil your very lucky you didnt blow it to bits. The ECU must have been better protected than I thought it would have been.
Always remember that all electronics have blue smoke built into them and once you let that smoke out it wont work anymore and you can never get it back in :wink:

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

katanaman wrote: Always remember that all electronics have blue smoke built into them and once you let that smoke out it wont work anymore and you can never get it back in :wink:
you have such a way with words mate :lol: :lol:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Your a funny man Marki :lol: :lol:

bieny

Post by bieny »

so am i correct in thinking its the black and white wire on pin 39 that is the pulse input to the ecu? some has told me its should be a blue and white wire?!? confused now

GreenV8S
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by GreenV8S »

bieny wrote:so am i correct in thinking its the black and white wire on pin 39 that is the pulse input to the ecu? some has told me its should be a blue and white wire?!? confused now
It's pin 39, on mine (hotwire around '93 vintage) the wire is white with a black tracer iirc.
Peter Humphries (and a green V8S)

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”