major flapper EFI problem urgent need help

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

landybob_v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

major flapper EFI problem urgent need help

Post by landybob_v8 »

major problem here

been chatting with tony lots on this one but nothing

the story so far!

new recon block replacing the one with shot piston rings
put inj system back on engine fired up nice but leaked water from a few places

engine ran shite but ran

valley leaked (thought it was the heads so changed the gaskets stopped the leak for a while)

engine wouldnt run between me and tony on the phone we managed to get it to run by disconnecting the extra air valve hose at the plenum

then the engine would run

today my mate paul came over and we managed to get the engine to fire by disconnecting the hose and we got a test meter on the connection to the extra air valve and found both wires to have current all the time found the loom to be cracked then it pissed water again so i replaced the valley gasket again with a genuine one and thats cured the leaks

now ive swapped the EFI loom for a new one and wired it as per tonys flapper wiring diagram on this forum and now the engine wont run again if i disconnect the wire to the coil that fires the injectors it will after a few secconds fire up using the 9th injector then die off

it also wont start if i disconnect the extra air valve hose so im guessing thats working now

also can anyone tell me what this relay is for?

has anyone got any ideas for me to check

is it possible now its all sealed air etc that the ignition timings now proper far out if i turn it towards the water pump it will try to fire if i spin it away it wont even try

possible im too far off i set it on the number 1 cylinder with the oil pump pto set to the right place in the book by eye this was and the dizzy dropped right in

im all out of ideas and im proper stumped id like to run my new rings in but not if it wont start eh!

the cam was seccond hand off tony and has the right lifters for the lobes so im not too worried about the constant cranking and it has awesome oil pressure

doesnt help my ign though

im pretty convinced that its electrical

before i swapped the loom i did try a new coil

the ecu and air flow meter has been tryed on a different car and these both work fine

v8's everywhere at least the one in the spare bedrooms gone now

mrs happy again

landybob_v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by landybob_v8 »

ok after a night of thinking about what its done!

it started this morning after a fair crank on full throttle

ran lumpy on rev but would idle lumpy

mrs happy again

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: major flapper EFI problem urgent need help

Post by ramon alban »

landybob_v8 wrote:
also can anyone tell me what this relay is for?
Bob, I'm more familiar with the slightly different Rover SD1 system however, on the Landy, because the relay is in the connection coming from the coil, I think it will belong to the over-run cut-off system that senses the high vacuum generated under engine braking and triggers that relay to cut of the signal to the ECU thereby cutting fuel injection under those conditions.

The resulting denial of fuel eliminates the tendency of the Efi system to pop and bang in the exhaust due to unburned fuel getting thro' the system

Ramon

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: major flapper EFI problem urgent need help

Post by ramon alban »

landybob_v8 wrote:major problem here

engine ran shite but ran

then the engine would run

today my mate paul came over and we managed to get the engine to fire
now ive swapped the EFI loom for a new one and wired it as per tonys flapper wiring diagram on this forum and now the engine wont run again

anyone got any ideas for me to check

im pretty convinced that its electrical

before i swapped the loom i did try a new coil

the ecu and air flow meter has been tryed on a different car and these both work fine
Bob, things are clearly all over the place considering the changes that you have made, so it's entirely possible that you have a combination of more than one fault.

This makes it almost impossible to advise you where to look for the problem.

Consequently I suggest that you embark upon a more comprehensive process of testing. I realise that you might feel this to be a miserable task, but on the other hand if you spend ages getting nowhere, its just possible that the time spent in a structured test process will pay dividends.

If you are interested try this link and navigate to the PDF for downloading or printing.

http://uk.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-CxcM5 ... H7XAU?p=14

I would add that although the test schedule is for the Rover SD1 system it should cover most of what you have on your Landy.

landybob_v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by landybob_v8 »

right all sorted nearly

this morning it started on full throttle ran til warm

5 1/2 hours later started cold start after a bit of a crank ran lumpy but revved lovely on all 8

coolant now bled

oil now changed

thermo time switch/coolant temp sensor probe cleaned and extra air vlave wd40ed until it shifted alright inside

starts a peach now

reckon the new loom and time to settle sorted it ok

thanks to the time tony spent on the phone with me

he is my own fault diagnosis manual with the quickest fault cross reference available! and always in an arms reach!

mrs happy again

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Cheers Rob,
I'm glad all is ok now,
now go and enjoy her before you break it again :wink:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

landybob_v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by landybob_v8 »

but i like the sound of that

why muck about chasing wire faults when you can swap the whole loom

just lucky i had that luxury

all thats left to do is stock up my spares to find another flapper efi loom that still carries the manafactures test certificate

i was pretty lucky before as id bought a full efi system to give me spare plenum, manifold, sensors, loom, etc after the auction he had to cut and splice the loom so replaced it with a near new loom he had had in a bag out back for years!

mrs happy again

landybob_v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by landybob_v8 »

cant really enjoy her until i can kick down on the motorway at 70/80 ahem! cough! up hills to get back up the rev range again

roll on these next 500 miles until i can get serious with it again!

mrs happy again

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”