dizzy question

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

stone

dizzy question

Post by stone »

hi all,,need a little dizzy help and this looks a good place to ask,,,i have a range rover converted into a space framed racer,,its year of manafacture is around 83-84 and has teh rover 3,5 v8 fitted,,,it has an electronic ignition with a silver box fitted to the wing to which is playing up quiet badly so i would like to convert it back to a points dizzy so i would like to know what type of dizzy do i need or will any rover v8 points dizzy fit
thx in advance nic

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

To go back to a points dizzy you need to chop the end of the shaft off (the tooth drive) and replace the drive gear with the later type. You will then have to change your coil for the correct type and rewire your ignition system to run with a ballast resistor and a bypass. Any Rover points dizzy will do.

IMHO it really isnt a route you want to go these days as points are just a whole load of trouble. If your amp is broken then you would be better going this route http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78 .

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Are you sure that its the amp box and not the dizzy that's playing up?

I've seen a few dizzys that have had problems with weak or stretched bob weight springs. This will really mess up you ignition timing and the advance curve.

Cheap rotor arms can also cause a problem, they breakdown (in terms of insulation) after a few miles and leave you stranded at the side of the road! (This happened to me!)

I agree that going back to points would be a big step backwards!

Pete

stone

Post by stone »

thx for the advice ,,,yes its deffinately the amp as when it decides not to run if you hit the amp with a spanner it will run again lol

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

stone wrote:thx for the advice ,,,yes its deffinately the amp as when it decides not to run if you hit the amp with a spanner it will run again lol

I like your style! :lol:

Jim of JRV8 will sell you an amp that hopefully won't need physical violence to keep it running!

Pete

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

sounds like a solder joint is bad if that cures it. If you can use a soldering iron or know someone who can crack it open and go over the joints.

stone

Post by stone »

katanaman wrote:sounds like a solder joint is bad if that cures it. If you can use a soldering iron or know someone who can crack it open and go over the joints.
your prob right there as its in an offroad racer that takes a lot of abuse over rough terrain so maybe as well to get a new 1

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”