ECU identification

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

ECU identification

Post by adamnreeves »

I am intending going the megasquirt/jolt route but tonight I saw a second hand but unsed ECU. Someone selling as it was the wrong type for their engine. I may be the 2nd in line to make the same mistake but it was so cheap at £26! that I thought it is worth the risk and I can always sell back to Fleebay.

Can anyone identify, knowing my luck I thought perhaps it was for the diesel but then I saw V8 in the serial number and bought it.

RANGE ROVER P38A ENGINE ECU.

RANGE ROVER P38A

THIS IS A ENGINE MANGEMENT ECU FOR P38A PART NUMBER:

LAND ROVER V8N NNN500451 V8NA EMC TNA 0077

MADE BY DENSO.

seight
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by seight »

hhhmmm?

Most people use the lucas hotwire setup if sticking with Rover injection. The hotwire ecu is the Lucas 14CUX. I don't recognise the one you've bought to be honest, maybe you're right and it's a diesel!! I think you've got 'ebayitis'.

If you go with hotwire then you need the 14cux ecu, lucas air flow meter, throttle potentiometer, idle air valve and the associated engine wiring harness and sensors. That all adds up - even when buying second hand. Then you end up with std injection which will only be good enough for getting your engine started and 'maybe' through SVA but I don't think it will be right for your engine unless you get it mapped by Mark Adams.

I got all my hotwire setup (inc ecu) with my engine and I'm only planning to use it for initial startup/cam run-in and maybe SVA. I definitely won't be driving it far as my engine has stage III heads, MC1 cam and ported inlet and from what I gather the std setup won't be adaptive enough for that.

Will you need cats with your 46D engine? I think you probably will (unless you can somehow get a letter saying it's actually an old engine) - so why not go megasquirt with wideband lambda(s)?

I was hoping you would go straight for the megasquirt to give me some tips/motivation when I do :D :wink:

Mike

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

I do want to go the megasquirt/jolt route :

a) got to be cheaper
b) lots of tech suppport and help
c) easier and cheaper to re-map
d) can enjoying experimenting

When I saw this ECU for £26, you are right I suffered ebayitis! You are right about initial startup, this was my thinking, if going standard route then initial startup will b less troublesome and stressful! and SVA emissions and all that.

As you probably know I have stage III heads with large valves and Piper 285 cam. Also have Rhoads lifters.

I will probably end up selling the ECU back, but I hope that I can make a profit on this one!

Yes I am sure I will need cats, my engine is dated 2004.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

If your not using the dizzy/older setup you need a gems ECU and all the sensors that go with it which aren't the same as hotwire. I am pretty sure it was Sagem that made the gems ECU. The Part number should be prefixed by AMR. This is a GEMS ECU.

Personally I would say you want to take a different route as the gems interfaces with everything which could be a long difficult task on your car, not to mention the cost of getting all the right parts together. If you want to keep the same functionality as the gems then a VEMS ecu is probably your cheapest option.

seight
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by seight »

Of course, yes, forgot about no dissy :oops:

I think Westfield use/used GEMS on their newer V8s and it took them a long time to get it setup and running.

Mike

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Someone not too far away from me is going to be selling an ECU I think :shock:

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

From what I am told you can not run GEMs unless you get it chipped (£790) as it links into the security system on the Range Rover which can not be bypassed.

I bought all the bits to go GEMs but found out this information late.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”