Alternator rating

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Alternator rating

Post by adamnreeves »

Anyone give me a clue with current rating of alternator I need for a Rover V8 4.6D EFI dizzyless serpentine. Hoping to use megaspark/jolt ECU. Being a kit car the electical assecosries will be minimal!

I have seen some 80Amp ones, is that sufficient?

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

if your running the standard serp front end then get the serp alternator as it will make mounting it and pulleys much easier. I think they are around 100-110 amps cant remember even although its one of them on my engine. Its way bigger than you need but smaller ones tend to still run V belt and its a different pulley fitment meaning you will have to get one made. Late intermediate 3.9 will do you as well but I don't know it the mounting bracket will line up right.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

More than enough.Thats all I run on my Cortina, No Heated back window is a big advantage, TBH, I could get away with a 55ah alternator, but I run my cooling fans on the edge of the thermostat opening so they do run quite a lot, they are the largest load that is applied to the system, and the 80 copes without a problem,
Ian :D :D
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

This is what I ended up getting, do not know what rating but I guess it is 125AMP higher rating than I need but I should have no problem fitting to the bracket or the serp belt. The cooling fan is also inside the case. For £85 I was pleased.

Brand new alternator for:

Defender 90 V8i 1995, Range Rover 3.9V8i 1992-1994, Range Rover 4.2V8i 1993-1994

Range Rover Classic 3.9V8i 1994-1995

Complete with serpentine pulley.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”