After market ECU's

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

After market ECU's

Post by r2d2hp »

Am wanting to add mapped ignition to my car and wondered if anyone has seen any sort of comparisons done on the aftermarket ECU's showing the pro's cons of each along with features, price, inputs, sw, outputs etc.

Would consider MS, VEMs etc but the system has got to be trouble free and would prefer that there are RR's here in the UK that are familiar with the setting up of these ECUs although I would be happy to build and do the initial setup myself. My Main requirement is driveability and not Top End power.

Know there is a good selection of different ECU's being used by the people on the Forum and thought it might be good to capture the good and bad points of each together with details of best places for support/mapping.

So if there is any matrix already out there that has some of the above information maybe someone could post it and we could then update with local knowledge.

Currently I have an Mark Adams mapped 14CUX ecu which drives very nicely but I need to get it remapped since adding supercharger but this still only gives me fuel mapping. So I think now maybe the time to change.

Any thoughts anyone.

Richard

Post by Richard »

I'll get the ball rolling with the VEMS schpeel. :)

Tony (thev8kid) has got one on his RV8 Capri, and I've got one on my 301ci Range Rover. Both of these are being run as fuel-only controllers, but most people run waste-spark ignition - if you have a later engine with cam and crank sensors, ignition control is easy to implement. If you're running a dizzy like us, VEMS isn't really set up to control ignition (MS-2 would be a fair choice if you want dizzy+ignition control).

A few general thoughts on ECUs though:
* Make sure you can run a decent wideband lambda (O2) system, and consider the cost of this when buying. Eg, do you need dyno time with an exhaust meter up the tail pipe, or can the system be accurately self tuned - VEMS has two wideband O2 controls built in, and a built-in Map learning function.
* PC/laptop tuning vs built-in tuning - VEMS does both (PC keyboard + LCD can plug in).
* RV8 uses a stepper motor for idle control, so make sure your ECU can support this (MS1 can't, MS-2 can) - VEMS has a very clever idle control algorithm...
* Accessibility of support - free support is available pre and post sales for many controllers, MS and VEMS in particular. The thing about these more open and popular solutions is that you're not limited to one source of support or sales. Here in NZ, Link ECUS are very popular (they're made here) so if one shop messes me around I can go to another one.

As suggested in my sig, Rob at VEMS UK is the place to talk to locally about these ECUs. Or ask here and either Tony or I can help out.
VEMS New Zealand Limited
Versatile Engine Management Systems : World Class Technology. Global Support.
For UK sales, visit VEMS UK

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

i will be using the vems for ignition also some when in the near future, :wink:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Personally I use Emerald M3dk No problems with it at all, Cheap to buy and have set up, there are a choice of ECUs here, http://www.jenvey.co.uk/ look under engine Management.
Ian :D :D
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

For the least amount of outlay versing messing about Emerald would be my first choice every time. £200+vat to map on Dave Walker's rolling road, easy to wire up and you get full access to all the software as well as free base maps to get you running.

Mark

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Although I've not actually bought the ECU bits yet, I'm in the process of fitting Megasquirt and Megajolt. As far as DIY stuff goes its so far not been too much of a problem. Ignition wise you need a couple of coil packs, leads and a basic loom making up. You can even run Megajolt without buying the megasquirt ecu.

bill shurvinton
Getting There
Getting There

Post by bill shurvinton »

I have to concur with Ian on 1 point. If you want a complete service with ECU and tuning, then Emerald is the place to go. Dave Walker charges around half what some other places will for a tune, and like a terrier he will not let a car go out until he is happy with it. Not necessarily a good business model for him, but you will get a very good tune.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”