Silicone grease???

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Eggonface

Silicone grease???

Post by Eggonface »

Righty, I have just replaced the ignition amplifier on my SD1 vitesse, this is the lucas electronic dizzy with the little amp on the side (35dlm8 if anyone knows what I'm on about)...

Anyway after fitting i have noticed that in the box there was/is a little tube of silicone comound (grease i think) which is supposed to be applied somewhere, now i have been told that this is to go in the joint and the multiplug between the the amp and the dizzy to prevent corrosion.. however i know that the amp earths through the dizzy body and this joint, i also know (i think) that silicone grease is an effective insulator, so I'm entirely convinced i should be spreading on an earthing surface..
So what /why/where should i do with it, and does anyone actually know the technical properties of silicone 'compound'/grease??

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by ramon alban »

This is to provide a good thermal bridge between the rear face of the amplifier and the ali mounting surface on the dizzy.

Dont worry about the earth, it will be fine plus there are a couple of screws to help out.

Dont apply the compound too thick, just an evenly applied thin film.

Eggonface

Post by Eggonface »

Great thankyou! :D :D

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”